WESTERN PENITENTIARY

Western Penitentiary is located on 21 acres of land (12 acres inside the perimeter wall) just 5 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. The facility opened in 1882 and operated as a maximum security prison until 2005 when it was closed due to high operation costs and poor lines of site. The prison was mothballed and sat mostly vacant until it was reopened as a minimum/lower-medium security prison in 2007.