VICTOR CULLEN

Built in 1907 Victor Cullen, originally known as the “State Sanitorium” was the first state funded tuberculosis sanitorium in Maryland. The administration building (pictured here) once had 8 detached wings which were designed to isolate patients in an environment with maximum ventilation in all weather conditions. As the need for tuberculosis treatment subsided the wings were demolished and the facility was converted to a state hospital only to be again converted in 1965 to a reform school for boys. While many of the original buildings are now sealed up and unused there is still an active juvenile treatment program that includes the use of a newer detention center on the property.