TOME SCHOOL

The deserted buildings of the former Tome School for Boys sit atop a 200 foot bluff overlooking the Susquehanna river. The school started in 1901 with a building known as The Inn. As many as 16 more buildings were constructed including Memorial Hall which was designed to be an awe-inspiring focal point of the entire campus. Other buildings included dormitories, a dining hall, gym, indoor pool, power plant and master cottages. The Tome School was hit hard during the depression and with dropping class sizes failed to produce profits. In 1941 the Navy purchased the school which would be used as a Naval Academy Preparatory School during World War II and the Korean Conflict. In the 1980s the site was used for a short time as a Job Corps training facility.