SYDENHAM HOSPITAL

Built in the early 1900s at lake Montebello the Sydenham Hospital was originally used to isolate and treat communicable diseases such as diphtheria, measles, scarlet fever, smallpox and chicken pox. With the discovery and use of antibiotics the need for a specific hospital to treat infectious diseases faded. As a result, Sydenham Hospital was closed in 1949, and converted for other health and rehabilitation uses. Parts of the campus remain in use but many of the original buildings have been vacant for many years.