SAINTS PETER AND PAUL CHURCH
The Saints Peter and Paul Church was established as a German parish in 1857 but It wasn’t until the late1880s that construction began on the current building. The cornerstone of the church was laid in 1857. Construction continued for two years and the completed church was dedicated on November 26, 1859. In 1909 the church was gutted by a fire when struck by lightning. The parish rebuilt a new church that incorporated the remains of the old church including the stone walls, twin towers and the alter. Construction of the church was completed in late 1910. By the end of the 20th century, the population of Pittsburgh fell to the point that the city could no longer support the number of independent parishes in existence. In 1992, Saints Peter and Paul merged with five other parishes to form the new St. Charles Lwanga parish. The Church closed after the merger and was later sold. The building currently sits vacant with an unknown future.
No flash player!
It looks like you don't have flash player installed. Click here to go to Macromedia download page.