NAVAL TRAINING CENTER

The United States Naval Training Center (USNTC Bainbridge) was located on the bluffs of the Susquehanna River in Port Deposit, MD. The 1100 acre site once held over 500 buildings and 55,000 people. The NTC was built in 1942 as a training center for World War II recruits. After World War II the facility was deactivated but reopened in 1951 due to the Korean War crisis. After the war the NTC became home to various schools and uses including the Naval Preparatory School, the Nuclear Power School, the Naval Reserve Manpower Center, WAVES Headquarters, and a U.S. Naval Hospital. The NTC closed in 1976. Only a handful of buildings remain on the barren site.