LUTHERAN HOSPITAL

In 1924 the West Baltimore General Hospital opened its doors in the building formerly known as the Hebrew Orphan Asylum. Later in 1950 the hospital was renamed the Lutheran Hospital, the name it would be most remembered by. Located in a predominantly African-American neighborhood Lutheran became known as one of the few places where African-Americans could seek medical attention without discrimination. In 1963 a major expansion opened, the modern concrete style looked nothing like the older buildings used onsite. Over time financial problems plagued Lutheran and with bigger and better hospital facilities popping up over the city it was forced of close down in 1989. After sitting vacant nearly 20 years Coppin State University has acquired the property and plans to demolish the hospital. The original Orphan Asylum building may be saved and reused as a school.