HICKEY SCHOOL

Built around 1910 the Maryland School for Boys was created in an effort to separate children from adult criminals. The complex cared for and treated some 300 delinquent boys and young men, ages 15-17, serving as a detention center for youth awaiting trial and as a training school for youth committed by the court. In 1985 the school changed its name to the Charles H. Hickey, Jr. School in honor of a former Baltimore County sheriff. As facility conditions and “quality of life” deteriorated the governor announced that Hickey be closed in 2005 but years later the facility remains in operation.