HEBREW ORPHAN ASYLUM

The Hebrew Orphan Asylum now stands like a mysterious castle in a mostly vacated west Baltimore neighborhood. The building established as the Hebrew Orphan Asylum in 1872 is originally believed to have been the old Baltimore County Almshouse. Funded by wealthy Jewish families and surrounded by farmland the Orphan Asylum only operated for a short time before being destroyed by fire in 1874. The building was soon rebuilt, again largely assisted by contributions from the Hebrews of Baltimore. With the help of The Hebrew Ladies’ Aid Society hundreds of orphans were cared here until lack of funding forced the orphanage to close its doors in 1923. In 1924 the site re-opened as the “West Baltimore General Hospital” and expanded with the addition of several new buildings.