DC VILLAGE INFIRMARY

The D.C. Village was opened in 1906 originally known as the Home for the Aged and the Infirm at Blue Plains. The nursing home campus included a 5 story infirmary, a central building, auditorium, chapel and a sprawling complex of cottages. In addition to the elderly the center also accepted and treated mental patients refused by Forest Haven and St. Elizabeth’s Hospital. Throughout nearly the entire lifetime of the facility it was plagued with reports of poor living conditions, abuse, neglect, malnourishment and much more. In 1995 The Justice Department reported findings of 37 preventable deaths at the institution. The D.C. Village was than closed down only to re-open as a homeless shelter which would also be closed for overcrowding and “inhumane” conditions.