BANCROFT MILL

The now-massive Bancroft Mill complex started out as a diminutive paper mill in the late 1700s. The mill was the first in America to use an endless sheet machine, which would later revolutionize the manufacturing of paper. Consistently ravaged by fire and flood, the mill was rebuilt repeatedly until 1838 when the estate was sold. The property was purchased and converted into a cotton-spinning mill and by 1930 boasted the title of the largest cotton finishing works in the world. The mill housed various other mixed uses before closing down in 2003. Some of the buildings are currently being converted into condos while others are on a list waiting to be demolished.