Thread: Maryland Heights / Harper's Ferry

Default Maryland Heights / Harper's Ferry

this is the way my buddies and i get on the appalacian trail when we do the maryland section if we're only going for the weekend. the climb is pretty hardcore - switchbacks going up 1300 feet - but the view is worth it.

Highlights: scenic overlook, civil war fortifications, moderate to strenuous climb
    Near: Harpers Ferry, WV
    Distance: 5.3 miles round trip
    Elevation Gain: 1299 ft
    Hike Time: 3 hours
    Difficulty: Moderate
    Trail Condition: Well maintained trail
    HikeType: Loop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summary: History combined with beauty! This is a hike over well-marked trails with many interpretive signs along the way. There are some steep climbs and some rocky terrain.
    The first park of the hike features a spectacular overlook of Harpers Ferry and the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers. However, it doesn't come easily. The trail climbs steadily up a picturesque stream valley to a side trail leading to the overlook. The Overlook Trail descends for .5 mi, but is worth it! For a shorter hike (2.8), return the same way you came.
    The second part of the hike includes much history. The trail climbs to the ridge passing remains of fortifications built by the Union forces in 1862 after their defeat at Harpers Ferry. There are ammunition pits, breastworks, powder magizines, and gun batteries along the trail. The remains of the main fort are at the summit of Maryland Heights. A military camp was located in the level area just below the summit.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trailhead: I-495 to VA 7; west on VA 7 around Leesburg, then right onto VA 9. In about 10 mi turn right ont VA 671, then right (north) ontu US 340. Follow signs to Harpers Ferry National Park visitors center. (Lat:39.32 Lon:-77.73)

website
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

in my previous post i failed to mention that harper's ferry has 20 some museums, a slew of touristy atractions, and decent food & drink. in fact, one such 100+ year old restaurant has excellent beer and the food smelled terrific.

here's one pic i managed to take before we headed into town:

leave the gun, take the canoli.

sweet! I've wanted to hop on the AT since I moved to Maryland, so I'll probably head up there once it warms up a bit.

Harpers Ferry is an awesome place to visit at least one. I've been there far too many times since I've moved to Martinsburg, however, I'll probably keep going. There's a measuring stick on the side of one building that indicates how high various floods were through the history of the town, it's pretty impressive.

I love your photo of the train tracks!

I've been frequenting H's F one and off for even longer than I've lived in MD, but strangely I never seem to get to any of the restaurants or museums. Just mainly walking around, t hough I'd never call it actual "hiking." I have also never managed to get my arse onto the Appalachian Trail, shame shame!

I have a couple of older galleries here and here.

Schmootography.com // blog

Member: TWPKC
    Honorary Member: F/RoX

My UE friend and i recently found an abandoned Yogi Bear Jellystone Campgroung near Harpers ferry, as well as a decreped ruined show cave thats about 1/4 of a mile from the camp. Ill post pics from my P&S as soon as i can, they arnt great

I remember "sneaking" up to Jefferson rock at about 12 mid night one night and hanging out with some friends until about 1:30. I say sneaking because technically the park's closed and the rangers probably would have got us for trespassing if they were having a bad night. Unfortunately this is right when I got into college the first time, so my priorities where less towards photography than they've ever been. This was back when digital was toooooo expensive.