Thread: C&O Canal - Point of Rocks to Monocacy Aqueduct

Default C&O Canal - Point of Rocks to Monocacy Aqueduct

C&O Canal - Point of Rocks to Monocacy Aqueduct

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlights:
    Largest aqueduct on the canal, woodlands, quiet country side
    Near: Point Of Rocks, MD
    Scenery:
    Distance: 12.5 miles round trip
    Elevation Gain: 50 ft
    Hike Time: 5.5 hours
    Difficulty: Easy
    Trail Condition: Well maintained trail
    HikeType: Out and Back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summary: The town of Point of Rocks consists of little more than a three-block stretch of street running parallel to the canal and railroad tracks. It's worth a brief visit to the Victorian train station, and has a small country store for stocking up prior to or after, heading out.
    Calico Rocks campsite is named for the composite rocks of this region - a mix of multicolored pebbles held together by a natural cement of limestone, referred to as "Potomac Marble."
    Nolands Ferry was an important crossing point for settlers following the old Indian trail and wagon road and dates back to 1742.
    The 7 arches spanning the 560 ft Monocacy Aqueduct was once the jewel of the canal. It's now reinforced with steel beems, and struggles against the current and loose soil.
    Trailhead: I-495 Beltway to I-270. Follow I-270 to Frederick, MD, then take Rt 15 South to Point of Rocks. Turn left into small town, and immediately turn right again. Follow road behind houses, and over train tracks. Parking area is underneath the Rt 15 bridge. Trail begins heading downstream following Potomac River. (Lat:39.2749 Lon:-77.5416)

scenic hikes website
    Last edited by don corleyone; 01-12-2007 at 05:25 PM.
    leave the gun, take the canoli.