Thread: C&O Canal - Riley's Lock

Default C&O Canal - Riley's Lock

Located in Montgomery County between Darnestown and Poolesville.

Highlights: woodlands, wildflowers, water filled canal, aqueduct, locks and lock houses
    Near: Poolesville, MD
    Trail Condition: Well maintained trail
    HikeType: Out and Back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summary: The Towpath for the C&O Canal is an excellant jogging/bike riding trail, offering beautiful views of the Potomac River. This particular stretch features the canal filled with water. Canoes can be rented from Swains lock for exploring this route from a different perspective. The canal itself seems to follow along the base of a line of cliffs. Often you are with in 30 ft. of the Potomac on your other side as well. This open, spacious, easy trail is great for a spring time stroll, or after work jog to loosen up a bit.

Directions:

1. Take River Road (Rt. 190) off rt. 495 through Potomac cross Falls Rd. and 7 more miles to the intersection with Seneca Road (Rt. 112).
    2. It's a "T" intersection and River Road takes a 90 degree left at this intersection.
    3. Take your next left on Riley's Lock Road, and follow to the end. If you end up crossing a bridge over a creek on River /Seneca Rd., you just missed it. So you might as well stop by Poole's Store. It belongs in the Smithsonian and you should see it before it gets there. Then go back to Riley's.

scenic hikes website
    Last edited by don corleyone; 01-12-2007 at 05:26 PM.
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

I use to visit this place alot when I was real young( every weekend )with my mom.
    I forgot how beautiful it was, I havent been there in over 20 years. This place use to be a popular hiking area with old buildings in dif stages of decay. The spot where that picture was taken from use to be an old boat refueling station, complete with boat hoists and all which now looks gone.
    I am now going to plan a trip,,,,, thanks Don.
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.

F/RoX

air jordans suck and so do your posts.
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.

F/RoX