Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What got you guys started in exploring?

Level 2 User
    Northern Virginia Former Maryland Resident

I have allways liked to explore but I got started with exploring in a UE sense a long time ago when I was 7. We moved to a farm in Virginia that had various abandoned structures on it. An old abandoned barn, a few abandoned stables and a two story small house. From then on I have explored many more small abandoned places. When I was in my freshman year of highschool I stayed on the NJ shore with a friend working at a boardwalk burger place. I was right next to Asbury Park, the king. I went there for the first time and was completely hooked, I had my cannon rebel from photo class in the car and I started taking pictures. Im more in it for the adventure aspect than the photography but I do take photos.
    Last edited by Sherlock; 10-13-2006 at 07:03 PM.

I guess when I think about it, I started in my backyard pretty much. There is this little old abandoned house (on someone elses property of course) that my bestfriend and I always tried to get to.. but usually got yelled at by the owners kids for being in/near it. Plus there are just little things like old fridges and a car or so (like 60's stuff) around the woods out back soooo... I liked these old things.

I started taking pics of them and checking out the old Mill in the area about 3 years ago.... but just got into the much larger locations. First trip was to PA with Mike, Evan, and Maypost. Then Henryton with Mike... and trying to get around to Pax (patuxent) this week and somewhere else before work completely takes over my life (stupid retail job!! lol).

I think it's now partly an addiction that comes along with the camera in my hand lol.

for me, i love architecture and hold a certain awe for structures that were built before i was born and will be (or have the potential to be) around for long after i'm gone. i love living on the east coast for that reason.... dc, b-more, fredneck, etc.

my first experience was "scary perry" high school in rockville when i was 15 or 16 and in high school myself. back then it had been abandoned for 10 years or so. never forgot that experience and always wanted to do it again. and now i have.
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

Honestly, I think my desire to explore abandoned buildings began when I was really little and watched Indiana Jones for the first time. I didn't actually follow through until high school when some friends of mine and I explored the grounds of Mayview State Hospital in Pittsburgh. The hospital is still used today, but there are a couple of buildings that are no longer used. The first time we went, we got caught by the cops-- nothing happened, of course, but they attempted to instill the fear of the law in us that day. After that, I wanted nothing more than to find another place to explore. I guess it's my way of sticking it to the man.

Level 2 User

Often times, I would go over my friends house, and getting bored of watching tv, and other stuff, we would sneak down to the Sydenham Hospital and have fun inside.

It shot off from there, after I saw those morgues

Thumbs down Rookie

hmmm.. Well I guess Don Corleyone got me into it, but I def. have allways loved old places that make you wonder what might have happened there! I just like the feelin of not knowing whats around that next dark corner. Also the thrill of gettin inside... however you get in! Yeah and this site can give you some of that motivation! RESPEK!

When I was aboout 7 we use to live next to a old building, my friends and I would go and start fires and campout inside.
    I went into boyscouts and became an eagle scout, Ive been to many places and had to hike thru many woods. I found some abandoned property on day whilist hiking, on it was a old grain mill, I decided to take my camera out and shoot it. ever since then my hobby in photography and exploring the outdoors has just came together.
    my goal is to explore in other countrys and document it all.
    MD/DE-crew

Once I was old enough to ride my bike farther then the driveway I was exploring alley after alley in town. one day I came uppon what I would later find out was the remains Hanover Shoe Factory. I ditched my bike and walked around the building to check it out. Then I booked it home, got my brother (same age as me) we jumped on our bikes with flashlights and went inside. I had absolutly no urge to break anything, even though I was only 13 or so years old. I was just impressed at the building. From that moment on I have been fasinated by old buildings. Today the Hanover Shoe is apartment, I still go back every now and then just to walk aroung the complex.
    For a small history and pictures of this location click here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hs.jpg   hs2.jpg  

For me I would have to say mt boyfriend got me into it.. I had been interested in hospitals and prisons and stuff like that but until I started dating him had I ever stepped foot into one and regret it? Hell no I love exploring everything and anything that I can find!
    Chrissy

For me I just wanted to be anywhere but home.

Thats right PITTY ME DAMN IT!!!!
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.

F/RoX

Level 2 User VincerePhotography's Avatar

Wandering around in the woods with some friends and finding an abandoned farm got me started. It's pretty addicting, even just looking at other peoples photos.
    -

-

a few years ago i went to dix with a few people. we just walked around and hung out in the place a few times. way before i even knew what a kirk was and i wasnt into photography as i am now. wish i could of studied the place more. a while ago i got interested in it again so i looked up some stuff online and found UE sites, since then iv been back in it.

Ive been drawn to architecture all my life. I actually had planned to go to school for it. I got my first real camera about 10 years ago and stumbled on the seminary. Ive been seeking out places and shooting ever since. Sad to say as much as I was dying to venture into these places I was never the risk taker to do it. Glad thats changed...

I was a cave fanatic scince i was 12, but then my parents split and my mom moved to Hagerstown. So since i couldent drive to any caves i started Draining around long meadow, which lead to exploring the old SEARS at longmeadow, then PANGBORN foundry, and then United Electric, its been downhill ever scince. My dad totaly disaproves, but my stepmom is 20yrs Combat Camera in the Air Force, she loves the pics. i guess everyone gets into it differently

I know we’re kind of late joining in on this discussion but we wanted to throw our two cents in too. most of us came to UE from being travelers and living abroad and not realizing that being given to snooping actually had another name.
    what fascinates me in particular is that so much thought and effort and planning and financing went into each site to make them functional and then somehow they just stopped being viable. From pyramids to power plants, nothing is really safe from being abandoned to progress. A lot of times the buildings remind me of sad kids caught in the crossfire of a bad divorce between the politics of place and the fickle populace who gives up and moves on to newer faster bigger better..
    -hannibal for theAteam

Level 2 User

my brother got me into it with what we called "the prarie sleeper" located in illinois. wasnt much inside but i was just amazed. from then on i have always wanted to stop at anything that even looked abandoned.

Level 3 User

I lived in the rust belt between Portsmouth, Ohio and Huntington, West Virginia. There were coke plants, concrete factories, portions of steel mills, glass plants, hospitals... I was so intrigued.

Default once upon a time

When I was a little girl, I mean really, its one of my earlier memories, I went up to the country with my father to visit a freind of his. We had to take a long dirt and gravel road and the underbrush kept hitting the car. His freind lived in a old farm house on the top of a hill. When we got there, instead of going to the house my dad took me for a walk back down the road for a ways looking at trees and bugs till we got to a vacant farm house. It was really old and thinking back it looked like it was about to fall down. Some of the windows were knocked out and the interior had exposed beams that were darkened like maby there had been a fire. We looked through the place. I watched my dad pick up old news papers and canned goods commenting on their age and what they were, all the while I was checking things out myself. It was pretty cool.

Ah, let's see...

I can't really pick out "one time" that's gotten me hooked, it's more of a gradual progression from "hey, that looks cool" to "I bet I could climb through there..."

I'd say the first thing that ever got me even thinking about exploring, are the old coastal defense towers on the coast of delaware. My grandparents had a place in Slaughter Beach (great name right?) and I can remember my grandad (he was a sub captain) explaining the ins and outs of what would happen if the US got attacked, since the towers were everywhere. I have yet to visit them, haven't been down there since they moved. I'll get there though.

I started going to community college (oh yeah, the great CCBC >.> after I dropped outta high school in 10th grade. I had a car, and nobody in my group of friends did, so between classes we'd wander around. Hell House... lol, they took me down all those great Elicott City roads pretty much everyday for a year. I visited hell house quite a bit back in the day, if not daily for a few weeks. At first it was "interesting" then it became "cool" almost to the point of getting like, protective about my place to chill. Sure I saw a lot of people, but I usually hid and watched from the woods. I even played paintball up there once or twice at night.

Don't call me a bad person... every halloween, I noticed a dramatic increase in the number of people who visited hell house, spiking right before dusk. So one time me and a good friend of mine, got a hold of some level 2 hazmat suits, and wandered up through the woods from the train bridge. I can't tell you how many kids we scared the shit out of. Thinking back now, that coulda been _really_ dangerous, but nothing happened then, other than a few girls screaming at us as we popped outta the tunnels that snake under the main structure.

I was there a lot, and I've seen cops there a lot, and I saw tons of people get ticketed for trespassing and parking down by the train bridge. I never parked there, I always parked about a mi up the road. So as we're going back to my car, still in the suits, a cop pulls up next to my car, right as we get to it. I'm freakin out like "shit, I've never been caught here, what do I say?", but instead he gets out of his cruiser, takes one look at us and laughs. Then proceeds to pull a similar suit out of his gearbag, and start hiking up the trail. I think that may have been the start of the whole "adventure aspect" because as much as I had been there, and saw what there was to be seen of the place, you never know what's going to happen when you add a bit of human involvement.

Btw, our "chill spot" was in the old cars by the pool.

It kinda took off after my friends gotta outta high school, and they had heard of henryton, rosewood, and glenndale. Became our "weekend" thing to go visit the common places, now I'm ready for more.
    "The most profound technologies are those that disappear. They weave themselves into the fabric of everyday life until they are indistinguishable from it." - Mark Weiser

Level 2 User

Well...a week ago a good friend and i were driving home, bored, and just began thinking about something to do. My friend mentioned urban exploring, neither of us knowing that much about it. So...we went home, looked for abandoned places to go to and found NRL and Hell House as some of the closest, and just went. Now we've explored more or less everything around Hell House, and been to the NRL satellites twice, and visited Henryton and PFI. Its been great fun and hope to continue it this summer, during college, and whenever i'm home.