Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What got you guys started in exploring?

Default What got you guys started in exploring?

Just curious how you all got started exploring. For me, about 5 years ago I was running through Patapsco State park and happened on the Simkins paper factory, saw the stairs and made my way to hell house completely by accident. Thought it was just amazing a building like that could just sit there decaying. Since hell house was torn down and private security as simkins, I've had to find some new spots. Using the clues from on this site, satellite maps, and google I've found & visited about 7 or 8 of the locations posted here.

For me... I got my camera last year and just started messing around with it. I quickly found that my favorite things to photograph were old buildings. One thing just kinda led to another

I grew up a few miles from an abandoned TB Sanitarium. Since I was around 12 or so, I have been playing cat and mouse with the local police there. When I turned 18, I started to look online for other abandoned locations to explore. Then I went out and baught a camera...it was all over after that
    Level two Jew

FTW!!!

last holloween a girl I was seeing was told about Henryton and she wanted to go there on Oct 31st at night for a thrill. It certianally was scary and I have since been there 2 more times, and took some great pictures. I have noticed alot more damage to the place the more I went. I am looking to see more places, but my skills are kinda limited on how to find the places. I also dont have alot of time to spend researching for new places as my kids keep me busy.
    ~Evan~ UA member #12
    Kosher Sausage, what?

I have not been on one yet, but through the wonderful images here and other sites like this, I do get to see some very interesting placces. Once my life settles down a bit, I too may get out and explore.

Why am I interested? I don't know. Wife thinks its a strange and morbid fascination, but I look at more like curiousity and wonder. Curiousity as to what took place and why is these places now vacant and wonder what type of people used to live or work in these places.

And of course the challenge to shoot images in these places. ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    I have not been on one yet
    um, hit me up. I can change that. We prolly live within walking distance of one another
    Level two Jew

FTW!!!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by maypost
    um, hit me up. I can change that. We prolly live within walking distance of one another
    I sent you an email some time ago, though I was really tired so I may have screwed up the addy. I'll be busy the weekend of June 10/11 and 24/25 but any other weekend I might be able to escape the wife.

Also, if you wish to email me, I can be reached at jeff@jrslater.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by maypost
    Not quite walking distance, but if we were desperate we could walk it. LOL I live over by North Middle School.

I have made that walk MANY times. So taht place you in the apartments by big lots?
    Level two Jew

FTW!!!

Nope, I wasn't sure if how much of the area you knew so I went with what most people can't miss. I'm actually back in behind Opequen Elementary school, just down the street a little ways. The subdivision is called Opequen Meadows. I'll IM you the address if you wish. No abandon homes woorthy of exploring but it is a decent area. (forgive my spelling, not sure how opequen is spelled, I'm sure I slaughtered it.

Let me just bring this topic back

The place that got me into UE was my trip to old St. Marys college (hell house) back in 2001. Since then, I have been intrigued by many old and abandoned places. I just enjoy exploring them.

Level 2 User

I grew up in rural Pennsylvania and did a lot of exploring in local caves and grottos as a kid. My interest was rekindled this winter when I was in Paris and a native Parisian friend of mine took me on a 12 hour tour of the Paris Catacombs. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and now I really want to get into UE. I just moved to the Baltimore area about a year ago and am really excited to check some of these places out... just looking for a place to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00
    I just moved to the Baltimore area about a year ago and am really excited to check some of these places out... just looking for a place to get started.
    Well, you've come to the right place. Welcome to the board.

Default How I Started???

Well,

I was researching my family history because my father was a orphan.
    Come to find out it was because his mother was locked up in a
    Psy. Hospital here in Maryland for 20 years. So I wanted to see what the hospital was like. And I was hooked!! And then I found my first web site on Urban Explorers.
    That's been but year and a half ago now.

I have explored almost all Maryland spots some more than once.

Dixie

I got into the whole world of UA by kyacking. Being around the Jersey Shore there are numerous old Bridges and Railroad Tracks. Many old buildings where erected on these tracks.

In addition, an old river was found behind my parents property called "Beaver Damn Run". Growing up around it, and kyacking on it, I found my first drain which eventually lead to "Beaver Dam Resivour".

It was a small drain, but a start.

I got started when I moved fairly close to Ellicott City a few years ago, just going out for coffee with some friends and then wandering up and down the CSX tracks. You nature hike around Ellicott City long enough and you practically trip over small sites. Then some of my friends moved to Pittsburgh and we started exploring up there whenever I visited them. It just sort of grew, and I picked up a photography hobby along the way to go with it because I wanted to share the beauty of some of these places and capture them before they got demolished. And, well, now here I am.

I got started when, about 6-7 years ago, some friends of mine took me up to Glenn Dale. I didn't even get out of the car, lol - but I felt some kind of draw to the place and went back several times on my own, and with some friends. It just kind of grew from there.

Level 3 User

well i used to ride around with my boy sean out in the "vally" by "devils" road and around the old kirk road and one day we decided to take a walk on old kirk, we found like old war bunkers or something and a bridge and some steps and i thought it was tight. ever since that my eyes look around a little bit more when were driving around looking for the next big one.

Default Zombies

Zombies got me involved. . . . or not.

Growing up in the RustBelt I grew up with it all around me.
    The river shores of Pittsburgh, The vast UE expanse that is Buffalo-Niagara, Oil City and Warren County, PA and the dump that was Cleveland in the 80s all fueled my curiosity about abandoned space.
    There is so much that used to sit abandoned that is now gone forever just in my little hometown of Erie, PA: A Seminary, A large church, a locomotive factory that employed 20,000, a paper-mill, 2 steel mills, multiple machine shops, and the list goes on. . . .
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

Level 2 User
    Northern Virginia Former Maryland Resident

I have allways liked to explore but I got started with exploring in a UE sense a long time ago when I was 7. We moved to a farm in Virginia that had various abandoned structures on it. An old abandoned barn, a few abandoned stables and a two story small house. From then on I have explored many more small abandoned places. When I was in my freshman year of highschool I stayed on the NJ shore with a friend working at a boardwalk burger place. I was right next to Asbury Park, the king. I went there for the first time and was completely hooked, I had my cannon rebel from photo class in the car and I started taking pictures. Im more in it for the adventure aspect than the photography but I do take photos.

My first Urban Exploring picture ever on the day that started all of this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 59699.jpg