Thread: New to the game.

Level 1 User

Default New to the game.

Hi All.

I am new to this. I have loved photography for a long time, and now have a new passion for this aspect of photography. I am 18, a PSU undergrad student, living in State College, PA. I am an Army ROTC cadet. I am from PG county, Maryland. I have done many trips to many of these locations, but frankly, I do not have the balls to go in them. I am very much afraid of Uncle Sam taking away my Army ROTC scholarship because I got caught trespassing in some old prison or hospital. I really like the idea of being care free about getting caught (like when I went to Eastern State Penitentiary, in Philadelphia). I am asking all out there for any advice to prevent me from getting caught, or anyplace to start looking to get permission (and I am very aware how hard this is), or any possible "legal Urban Exploring". I am willing to drive good distances to find locations. I am totally okay with going to a place that doesn't have an owner anymore, or someplace that has been pretty much forgotten about. Some of the better known locations, like Henryton, Glenn Dale, ect. are where I am fearful of getting busted. I hope you all understand. I have searched high and low, with no avail. Also, as a rookie, going solo into these massive structures knowing nothing about them is another worry of mine. However, getting busted is my biggest worry.

Any locations, tips, ideas, any type of assistance would be most welcomed.

Very Respectfully,
    D.

When I got busted for trespassing uncle Sam didn't take away my Top Secret SCI clearance. I wouldn't worry about it.

Getting caught for trespassing is no big deal just don't get caught stealing or vandalizing. Carry a camera, act professional and don't run from the cops.

You are right about the better known locations. Cops/security are tired of chasing people away and are less lenient. With some of the less known spots cops/security are more likely to just talk to you and sometimes tell you stories about the place.

Level 1 User

Thanks Dan. Good to know.
    As an expert, yourself, do you know of "lesser known" locations?.. I have been doing a lot of research and only are able to find the big, well known ones. I understand if you aren't willing to hand out that info. Thanks again for the reassurance about the government.

Nearly every location I have ever visited is shown on the location map on this site, check it out.