Thread: Henryton on Fire!

Trespassers will be violated!

Default Henryton on Fire!

Tonight my husband and I were walking along the train tracks at Henryton. We smelld something burning. We were near the train tunnel. So walked through the tunnel, which I hate to do and sure enough. Henryton was on fire! We saw the red smoke before the fire turcks arrived. Tons of fire trucksand police came. I took a picture of the smoke and dare not to get close to the place. We stood at the power house for a while. So sad. We had to make the long walk back to our car before we got a ticket, like the police were not busy. lol... No ticket but it was dark . The fire dept had to get the water from the river to fight it. No hydrants work at Henryton. It was a 2 alarm fire. Not sure what happened. Cannot imagine all the nasty stuff that was put into the air!

It was no the Admin Building it was the Physicians and Nurses Cottage
    1. Before

from the Carroll County Times

2 During

http://www.sykesvillefire.org/apps/p...fm?News_ID=401 This is the Sykesville Fire Dept Page story

Since I live so close to it, I will try to get photos this weekend of whats left.

3 This was the first smoke we saw than fire dept's starting arriving.

4 Top of the pic is the first fire truck, just a red ligt you can see. Sorry its a bad pic.

5. We drove past them getting water from the river on Marriottsville Rd.

http://www.henrytonforgotten.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55229469@N07

I have about 47 pictures posted and most of them are of the inside if you want to look. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/f...8&l=42d6790314

Geez, again? The little bastards are just begging for them to demo the place.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  

Default Aftermath Pics

Fire Marshall ruled it was caused by Lightning. Happy to hear vandals did not do this. Its still standing. Roof is mostly gone and the walls are full of water. Unstable.

Level 1 User

Wow this sucks. I was planning on taking some people to explore tomorrow night and this happens. Hopefully there won't be extra surveillance/security there if it was just lightning. Does anyone know if the cops give tickets to vehicles parked in that little stone/dirt lot next to the tracks if it's after dark?

If you park at the train tracks or in the dirt spot next to Henryton after the sun sets, Yes. The Dunbar Rent A Cop calls the State Police and issudes at least a $50.00 ticket and will wait for you to come out. They will never go in to get you. (unless you call 911). They have always been like that. Dunbar sits at the front gate all night with his truck facing Henryton Rd. He does not ever face the hospital. They also patrol the other side of Henryton Rd where the bridge is gone. Any part that is St Park property. Maybe park on Henryton Rd up near the Bow Hunters place? Not sure where to tell you. sorry.
    State Officials and Fire Marshall were all over the place yesterday during the day. Yes Dan, your friend Larry was there!
    I asked Larry about Henryton in an email, if they will tear it down quicker,,, and here is his reply..

Ms. McGovern:

I met with the Fire Marshall at Henryton this morning. While he has not ruled anything out, his initial impression is that the fire was caused by lightning. I understand there were some pretty severe storms in the area yesterday. I do not know if this will have an impact on the plans to demolish the old buildings. I do not know of any photos of Henryton, but that does not mean they do not exist.

Larry McAvoy

Default local paper

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/ne...cc4c03286.html

I made it in the local paper in favor of saving Henryton. Which I do realize will never happen.

Totally missed this story while on vacation.

Posted to the main page. Thanks for sharing.