Thread: Lens Question (D90)

Level 1 User

Default Lens Question (D90)

Been lurking for a little bit and getting ready to take my first trip to pax in a couple of weeks.

Currently have a D90 w/ Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR lens.

Looking for something that can handle low light indoors a little better. Thinking of picking up a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor. Does anyone use this lens for shooting in this scenario? Do you like it?

Thanks!

I've used the 50 on both a D80 and a D700 and while it is a great lens, I found the focal length on a DX sensor to be a little long. Sure, any lens can be used in any situation and it does force you to get creative with what focal length you have. Try zooming your lens to 50mm, leave it there, and just walk around taking pictures to get a feel for it. That being said, it is a great lens for the price, and there is not much out there that compares to spending $120 on a lens.

I'm assuming that since you say "handle low light better" and you are looking for a fast lens that you aren't shooting with a tripod? Invest in one of those before anything else.

That said, 50mm prime lenses are amazing. Some of my favorite pictures were taken with the 50mm f/1.8 (Canon, as if it matters...). The color reproduction, contrast, sharpness... it's all mostly on par with the top of the line lenses.

Recently started with the f/1.4 after the mount on the 1.8 broke. The depth of field is crazy, and it still performs well in every other area.

Level 1 User

@chr7s Thanks for the advice. Randomly stumbled on your flickr last night , great shots!

@futureimpaired Love the pics you posted in the thread. I am also shopping for a tripod. Any recommendations for one that would hold up for urbex?

Thanks guys,
    Zach

I use a Manfrotto 190XB with a 495 (I think) head.

While carbon tripods are light and sexy, the minimal weight savings were not really worth the price difference to me. Tripods are one of those things no one seems to want to spend a lot of money on, but if you think about it why would you put a camera and lens worth a few grand on something cheap? I have also had a few cheap tripods, and they eventually start falling apart.

The one big option with tripods is the type of head you use. I find ball heads to be my favorite, as you only have to use one knob to adjust the camera angle.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...um_Tripod.html

New head design, but that is similar to what I currently use.

Level 1 User

Thanks both of you

Got the 50mm 1/8 and took it to hen got some decent pics

Just ordered the tripod and head you recommended for an urbex outing this weekend.

Thanks again!