Thread: things i learned in Central Booking

Default things i learned in Central Booking

On saturday night/sunday i spent 14 hours in Baltimore Central Booking. I was arrested and charged with trespassing on an abandoned property. I had shown up to take some photos. When I arrived, there were 2 other guys there with a truck. I introduced myself, we chatted, they said they were there to take a couple things out before the place got torn down (it is in the process of being done). I went in with them, we looked around a little bit, then i went off to another area while they did their thing. While in the building i was going into (this is all in 1/2 a city block) i saw the police roll up on the 2 guys loading stuff into their car. I decided i would leave out the other side of the block (you can't see through the lot). I went down the stairs, hopped out, through the fence, and started walking away. When i got to the corner i crossed the street at the opposite corner of where the 2 guys got arrested and as i was crossing, 2 cops ran straight at me, asked me where i was coming from, grabbed my arm, and radioed that they had the "3rd guy." Someone must have called it in and described the 3 of us, because the police knew they were looking for 3 guys and they knew exactly who i was, even though i was almost a block away from the scene by that point. This was about 8:30pm.

I figured that my best bet was to just tell it like it is and hope they let me go since i wasn't taking anything, so i said yeah, i was on the property taking photos (they were on my camera, so i figured no sense in fighting it), and that i didn't know those two guys or what they were up to. I said i spoke to them earlier but wasn't a part of whatever they were doing. The police were all very nice, other than the cuffing and arresting, but they still charged us all with trespassing. The guys didn't get any theft charges and the cops even let him keep the stuff in his truck since they didn't feel like unloading it.

We were all taken down to central booking. Several people told us we would be in and out in a few hours because it was a very minor charge. We did the whole search/fingerprint/etc and were locked in small concrete cells. No one came across as violent or threatening, just a bunch of inner city dudes busted on drug charges mostly. I don't know if they separate the violent crimes with the nonviolent or not? Anyway, I didn't get out until 12:15pm the next afternoon, with a court date for my charge.

Here are a few things i learned that i figure i might pass along:
    1. If you are going to get caught, do it in the morning, not the evening. What you are waiting for in central booking is for the police to write up the report, submit it to the state's attorney, who determines whether they want to pursue the case or not. then you either get out or talked to a commissioner and get a court date. The state's attorney's don't work 'round the clock though, so if you are busted in the evening, you just sit there until the next morning.

2. If you are wearing anything that can be construed as "boots" they will be taken and you are given these little foam slippers that are pink with smiley faces on them

3. You get fed 3 meals, which are pretty shitty, but not as bad as i might have thought. But if you get there after dinner, you don't get shit until breakfast. Don't ask, it won't happen.

4. The officers in central booking are generally nice. if you are polite to them, they will answer any questions you have. they were also nice enough to put us "white boys" in a cell with some old drunks instead of some of the rougher cells.

5. I would rather sit in a dirty, asbestos filled closet for a couple hours while the police mill around than spend another 16 hours at central booking. I should have just sat and waited. i don't think they would have gone to check out a half-torn-down building because of safety risks.

6. Don't get busted at the beginning of the month when quota is on everyone's mind. The two cops who caught me were bantering about who got to file that they got me.

7. If there are other guys on the property stealing stuff, just come back another time. If those guys hadn't been there i bet no one would have ever come, but they attracted a lot of attention. I already try to follow this rule, but i've been to this place so many times i figured no one in the area cared what was going on there. Guess i was wrong.

Anyway, i don't wish that upon anyone else. Be careful, and don't think that even if you get let of "easy" that it will be easy. Even if the charges were dropped i would have still spent the night at central booking.

Sorry to hear about your experience. That is also some total BS that they would send you to central booking for mere trespassing. Usually that's just a ticket and a "get the hell out of here."
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Do they let you keep the slippers?
    The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
    Robert Heinlein (1907 - 1988), "Job", 1984

i actually didn't get slippers, but i saw plenty of them... i assume you can keep them but i bet most people throw them away as soon as they can.

as an update... i went to early resolution court today, was there from 8am to 11am. the general process consisted of me signing in, sitting and waiting. someone comes out and offers me 5hrs community service and nothing on my record (which i take). sitting and waiting. the bailiff gives me some paperwork, i go talk to the community service people. sitting and waiting. i go do my 5 hours this saturday, then i get to go BACK to court on the 3rd of next month, i show that i did my service, and they nol pros.

the 5 hrs of community service doesn't bother me, but the hours and hours and hours in central booking and courtrooms is starting to be a real pain the ass.

14hrs? Christ, thats a walk in the park compaired to what I had to deal with there.
    "There is but one truth. If you avert your eyes from it, you will always remain nothing more than a puppet"-Schwarzwald

Level 1 User

I deffinitly agree with your fith point learned. In that situation seems like they wouldnt have put the effort in to go inside and search the whole place.