Thread: Weston State Hospital Photo Tours

Default Weston State Hospital Photo Tours

Tour Options for Weston State Hospital (Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum)

Date and Times

March 26th, 2011 – October 31st, 2011

Monday
    By appointment only

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday
    12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Friday**
    12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Saturday**
    10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m

*Tours of the first floor leave every hour and all four floors start every 2 hours. The last 1st floor tour leaves at 5:00 p.m. and the last 4 floor tour leaves at 4:00 p.m.

**The last tour 4 floor tour leaves at 6:00 p.m. and
    the last 1st floor tour leaves at 7:00 p.m.

Types of Tours

Photography Tour (8/13/11 )

The photography tours allow you entry to the interiors of the Kirkbride, the Medical Center, Geriatric building, exteriors of all buildings, the cemeteries, and the grounds. These will be a semi guided tours without historic information. Check in for the photography tour is hour before the start time. Please dress appropriately for the weather. Transportation will be provided to the cemeteries.

Morning Photo Tour - $100 (8:00 am to 12:00 pm)
    Evening Photo Tour - $100 (2:00 pm to 6:00 pm)
    Both - $150

For more information call 304-269-5070

Money from the tours goes to saving the buildings. Currently the roof of the Kirkbride is being replaced and/or repaired. After that is completed the kitchen (attached to the rear of the kirk) will be stabilized, if it doesn't collapse before then.

Scroll down to posts 14-16 to see more information and photos of the current state of the buildings.
    Last edited by Face Money; 06-17-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Updated tour info

$100. Sweet raptor jesus. Then again that is what Waverly Hills charges I think. Glad to hear they are finally doing this.

I called to ask how long each "tour" was since they have both AM and PM sessions, they told me 5 hours for each. If you want a full 10 hours it's $150.

*this should also be moved to main and not OT since this is definitely on topic. *
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Is that $100 per person or group?

Quote Originally Posted by futureimpaired View Post
    Is that $100 per person or group?
    $100/person.

They do group tours in the off season w at least 5 people in them but you need to call to find out more details and such. Something tells me the group tours they offer are their standard tour. They still seem VERY anti-photographer.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

I guess they really want their roof to be fixed to be charging $100/person!
    Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying.

Are there motion sensors here? Is there anything to stop us from taking our own tours?

Are there motion sensors here? Is there anything to stop us from taking our own tours?
    They used to have the place pretty well alarmed. Now that it has changed owners and they are running tours through there I doubt they have the same alarm setup in use. Only thing I think you'd have to worry about is running into tour groups but you could easily use the "I got lost" excuse.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Quote Originally Posted by kts View Post
    They used to have the place pretty well alarmed. Now that it has changed owners and they are running tours through there I doubt they have the same alarm setup in use. Only thing I think you'd have to worry about is running into tour groups but you could easily use the "I got lost" excuse.
    That would be difficult since there are two tour guides per group. One who is at the front and the other in the back to make sure that nobody is left behind.
    Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying.

I don't think he is talking about even going on a tour.

Not sure if it's changed but the owner's attitude towards photographers/explorers in the past was really shitty so if caught I'm sure they would be real dicks about it.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Quote Originally Posted by kts View Post
    Not sure if it's changed but the owner's attitude towards photographers/explorers in the past was really shitty so if caught I'm sure they would be real dicks about it.
    Truth.

Not to mention if explorers started breaking in it would probably end the photo tours and just make the new owners hate even stronger. It seems like (IMO) they are doing the photo tours as a gesture to explorers/photographers. Though it could also just be for the money.

BTW, I hear that the photo tours will include the TB building, which has been off limits since the new owners took over.

If they are charging $100/person, then it is no doubt for the money and not "for the explorers." Do they do it only certain days of the week, or is breaking in entirely out of the question?

If they are charging $100/person, then it is no doubt for the money and not "for the explorers." Do they do it only certain days of the week, or is breaking in entirely out of the question?
    http://trans-alleghenylunaticasylum....tagetours.html

Looks like they have updated that w info on the photo tours.

It's currently the off season but from that page it makes it sound like there are people there on site daily since they offer tours to walk ins.

Just means you might have to be a bit more stealthy.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Level 1 User

its actually a buck fifty for the entire day and i couldnt give the lady my credit card number fast enough to secure my spot. only 15 allowed that day. and you pretty much have free reign of the kirkbride. ill be there on 8/13 with henrytonut and her husband as well as a fellow flickr/bookface/uer member who does some amazing work. i cant wait to shoot every inch of the 4 story building. the ground floor is nearly 1/4 mile long. id much rather spend 150 to help save this place than break into it. there is no need for that. i am also gladly paying the eastern state penitentiary my money to shoot there after i leave weston. we may even mix in the silk mill which i'd pay 75 for any day of the week to help preserve so that that we ALL could take amazing photographs and make life long memories there.

Default Updates...

I was just there a few weeks ago and got a private tour with some friends. http://www.urbanatrophy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6066 There is still plenty of decay to shoot there. The money right now is still going to the roof of the Kirkbride, so the interior hasn't been changed too much other than some painting on the first floor of the admin and a bit of sweeping.

The Medical Building apparently has Swiss cheese for a roof now, as you can see in the one hallway photo in my set, there is water everywhere. On a hot day (like the one we were there on), this makes it quite hard to get good photos thanks to the humidity. It is also unfortunately destroying the morgue cooler. I compared the photos I took a few weeks ago to my visit in 2007 and the cooler is really falling apart.

The owner still isn't letting people in the TB building, other than for the Halloween tour, we tried to get into it. Also found out that the future of the kitchen, built around the 1920s and attached to the rear of the kirk, is pretty much up in the air. If she can get enough money to finish the roof of the kirkbride before the kitchen collapses then she will save it too. If it collapses first, then it's done.

I would recommend to anyone that is in the area, at least go see the historical tour and help save the place. It's worth it.

Oh, and something else I found interesting. At one point we were talking to the owner about Greystone and she basically said that she would buy that kirk too in a heartbeat and do the same thing to it as she has done to Weston. But thanks to the reuse restrictions on Greystone she can't. How bullshit it that!?

Default Parking

If you want good unobstructed photos of the entire front of the kirk, GET THERE EARLY, Before the first tour group. Stupid tourists park their cars on the front lawn and you basically have to be standing at the front gate to get a full photo, so their cars ruin this.

There are two small parking lots in front of the hospital, between the road and the river. So I don't know why people have to park on the driveway and lawn of the hospital.

Default Interior Decor & Museum

The new owner has dressed up pretty much all the rooms on the first floor of the admin with period furnishings. I have mixed feelings about this, but it's good for the tourists since they would otherwise just be empty rooms to them. She has also set up a bit of a museum in the rear rooms. There are displays on treatment methods, a research room full of old photos, reports, and documents, and another room with a large display of patient artwork. She has also setup a gift shop with t-shirts and other "trinkets". And if you take the tour you get a voucher for a free postcard.

She also has certain rooms "decorated" along the tour path, mostly on the first floor.

More photos here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.jpg   02.jpg   03.jpg   04.jpg   05.jpg  

06.jpg   07.jpg   08.jpg  
    Last edited by Face Money; 06-16-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added photos

Looks pretty cool. I think it's good they are trying to save it.

Anyone else going on August 13th besides Flaminbird, Insulinguy, HenrytonNut and husband? Nice to meet anyone one else.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrytonNut View Post
    Anyone else going on August 13th besides Flaminbird, Insulinguy, HenrytonNut and husband? Nice to meet anyone one else.
    I'd really like to attend considereing August 10th is my birthday & this WOULD be a great bday present for myself. Plus I'd like to meet some poeple from here face to face. I'll try to check the funds & get a sopt on that tour ASAP!
    Amanduh_L3igh

Shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, & teeming with souls shall it ever be.

I have met Alex and Jive from here and it was an honor to meet them! It is nice to put a face to these amazing photos! Woulfd love to met Dan (if I had my book for him to sign) and KRUSH, he sounds like a hoot! Wish we had a mark or a color that we all knew , that we were a part of this board , while exploring. Something to identify each other!