Thread: Urbex TV

Default Urbex TV

Photographers explore abandoned buildings in new television series
    Preview here
    Finding art in abandoned buildings, beauty in decay - it's more than just a hobby for the group of photographers that make up DK Photo Group, it is the subject of a new reality television program. A fast-paced show with stunning scenery, photoXplorers, features the group of five photographers with a common interest in society's architectural cast-offs. The show documents the men as they plan out and execute their photographic adventures.
    The DK Photo Group consists of Russell Brohier, Sean Galbraith, Steve Jacobs, Laurin Jeffrey and Mathew Merrett. They call themselves urban archeologists or urban adventurers. The collective owns galleryDK, a photographic gallery in Parkdale.
    "These are not your typical photographs," said Jeffrey, a Pickering resident. "There are a lot of people who wonder if it is a photograph or a painting...some are surreal scenes. This is not something your average person is used to seeing on a regular basis."
    The photographers started shooting together in 2005 with the intention of putting a show together. Out of that grew galleryDK, located at 1332 Queen St. W. The men now regularly venture out together to shoot.
    In essence they are trespassing, but the men don't break into buildings. They operate under the Sierra Club motto - leave only footprints and take only pictures.
    "In many cases the door will be open, you may have to jump a fence, or ignore a sign that says no trespassing," said Merrett, a Parkdale resident. "But, I am not going in with a pry bar or anything like that."
    They gain access and then fan out and each shoot their individual photos.
    "We are not going in these places to destroy them or wreck them, we are going in there to actually show the beauty of them," Merrell said.
    They usually make trips early in the morning on weekends when there is less activity and sometimes situations warrant they go under the cover of night.
    "You don't go into these places by yourself generally and it's always good to have someone else around because the places are a little bit dangerous," said Brohier who lives in Cabbagetown. "You could fall through the floor, step on a nail, someone could attack you, all those sorts of things."
    They don't normally shoot in Toronto because there aren't a lot of places to explore. There were a number of buildings in Liberty Village once upon a time, but they've since been converted to lofts or torn down.
    "We have to go to less opportune communities like Buffalo or Detroit," Merrett said.
    The six episodes of the photoXplorer show were shot over the course of 10 days in Belgium, France, Germany and Luxembourg.
    "It's almost a new genre of television, I call it art adventure," said the series creator and executive producer of Keep It In The Family Productions, Claude Barnes. "It's not a reality series, but it is not just a photography series either."
    Barnes, whose studio is located in the Dupont St. and Lansdowne Ave. area of Toronto, had previously worked with Merrett and Galbraith for the television series Behind the Camera, which is where he got the idea for this new show.
    "I really got a rush out of being in an abandoned building and visually how amazing it was so I thought it would be good to pitch a series and Bravo took it," Barnes explained. "We drive past these abandoned boarded up buildings everyday and always wonder what's inside. Now we are showing you what is inside these places."
    photoXplorers premiers on Bravo on Thursday, Nov. 5 at 7:30 p.m. The collective shows the photos they created while filming the show at galleryDK, at individual shows and at various outdoor art shows in Toronto.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

WTF really?

This is just going to make all of our locations whored out by noobs that want to trespass and take photos.
    MD/DE-crew

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    WTF really?

This is just going to make all of our locations whored out by noobs that want to trespass and take photos.
    Oh, do you have a trip to Europe planned? It says right in the article:
    The six episodes of the photoXplorer show were shot over the course of 10 days in Belgium, France, Germany and Luxembourg.

What I care about is the image these people are going for. They are tourists. Especially for a TV show you would think the main focus would be the adventures, so why is this subject matter focusing on their (mediocre) photography? Tools.

I am planning a trip over to Europe but I doubt this will have much of an effect on it since the spots they most likely are going to are well known spots over there where the owners/neighbors/etc don't really care much.

I also agree with Will about the image these guys are going for. I guess these guys found some media connections from their exhibits in Tortonto which led them to a show. I'll be Tivo'ing it to see how it goes but I'm not expecting much. I am curious how they portray exploring and what the fall out from this will be from the exploring community since really it's getting hard enough out there to do what we do without more media coverage.

Edit: Ok so I watched the preview (dunno why the link didn't work for me before) and all of those spots they did are well known over there. And wow maybe I'm an asshole but those guys just seemed likes douches and full of themselves. I agree again with Will that their photos aren't that great and in that preview they seem to be way into themselves and their photos. Also saw that it looks like this is Bravo Canada only. I'll have to grab a torrent of it.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

I didn't see this on the thread yet... sorry if it already is.

PhotoXplorers

It would be so awesome if a TV crew followed me and my friends around exploring. It would just be tons of dick jokes, pooping in inappropriate places, fire, and unnecessary bodily harm.

...fuck, that almost sounds like that other show, "Jackass"

you should pitch that idea to a TV exec.

UE + jackass/nitro circus = win.

i would like something like Madventures on Discovery with the 2 crazy Finns. They did a piece on Prypiat which was pretty cool not to mention all the other weird shit they do.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

I like how none of those guys are wearing respirators in the trailer for the show. They must be thoroughly enjoying all that asbestos. dumbasses

Quote Originally Posted by wutangstyle View Post
    I like how none of those guys are wearing respirators in the trailer for the show. They must be thoroughly enjoying all that asbestos. dumbasses
    meh. most explorers i know don't bother with respirators. i know i don't. and yes i know it's a bad idea but really what in this hobby isn't a bad idea?
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Quote Originally Posted by kts View Post
    but really what in this hobby isn't a bad idea?
    Truer words were never spoken
    Work. Buy. Consume. Die.

-Otep

Quote Originally Posted by wutangstyle View Post
    I thought this was sarcasm at first...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTaco View Post
    Truer words were never spoken
    Quoted from someone who unfortunately knows this all too well.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Quote Originally Posted by kts View Post
    meh. most explorers i know don't bother with respirators. i know i don't. and yes i know it's a bad idea but really what in this hobby isn't a bad idea?
    You mean carrying a respirator in your bag doesnt help? you have to put it on? fuck!
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.

F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid? View Post
    you mean carrying a respirator in your bag doesnt help? You have to put it on? Fuck!
    ur doin it wrong!
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid? View Post
    You mean carrying a respirator in your bag doesnt help? you have to put it on? fuck!
    What's a respirator?

Exploring & photographing abandoned buildings is fun to PARTICIPATE in but I just don't think it translates into an interesting TV show even if the show is put together well. The dramatic music playing in the background as some guy fell down a gentle slope made me laugh.

PS I just got diagnosed with adult onset asthma. Was playing soccer a while back and after a hard run couldn't breathe. Would literally gasp for air and nothing was coming in. Started happening more and more often and got to the point it was happening every game. Gave me an inhaler which clears it right up when i have an attack but I'm 100% sure it's from breathing in all the dust & shit of these places.
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

Quote Originally Posted by mANVIL View Post
    ... but I'm 100% sure it's from breathing in all the dust & shit of these places.
    Don't breath in shit... problem solved.
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.

F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by mANVIL View Post
    PS I just got diagnosed with adult onset asthma. Was playing soccer a while back and after a hard run couldn't breathe. Would literally gasp for air and nothing was coming in. Started happening more and more often and got to the point it was happening every game. Gave me an inhaler which clears it right up when i have an attack but I'm 100% sure it's from breathing in all the dust & shit of these places.
    damn man sorry to hear that.

i think you may be onto something about getting it thanks to all the dust + shit. now it's only a matter of time before you turn into a zombie.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

be sure to join my group on here "coughing blood", if that happens to you also.