Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Main Page Makeover

  1. #1
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default Main Page Makeover

    The main page www.urbanatrophy.com is getting a long overdue makeover. I am moving from a gallery type main page to more of a blog.

    This will allow me to display news related stuff, book updates, etc. in addition to the photo/location updates.

    I am also going to update many pages that haven't been touched in years like the about us, disclaimers, etc.

    The change is a work in progress so feel free to check it out and make comments/suggestions.

    The theme (look) is still basic/default. I need to get all the framework figured out before I try and make it look good.

  2. #2
    Level 3 User Urbanexplorer777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mt airy, Murderland
    Posts
    565

    Default

    it looks/sounds pretty awsome
    -Zac

  3. #3
    Level 3 User Doomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fredrock, MD
    Posts
    1,629

    Default

    spellcheck plz.
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."

  4. #4
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doomed View Post
    spellcheck plz.
    elaborate plz.

  5. #5
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Cmon people. SPEAK!

    I think I am also going to start highlighting quality member galleries posted here on the main page too.

    Thoughts?

    Ive also started adding other news. fires, demos, rehabs.

    Ideas?

  6. #6
    Level 3 User breviceps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    PM sent for an idea.
    Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Cmon people. SPEAK!

    I think I am also going to start highlighting quality member galleries posted here on the main page too.

    Thoughts?

    Ive also started adding other news. fires, demos, rehabs.

    Ideas?
    So you will be linking to the photo thread in the gallery section of the forum?

    ie... like this? - > Click
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.


    F/RoX

  8. #8
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid? View Post
    So you will be linking to the photo thread in the gallery section of the forum?

    ie... like this? - > Click
    Exactly but it will not be a text link. I will select 1-2 photos and post them on the main page. Clicking on the photos will link back to the forum.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Exactly but it will not be a text link. I will select 1-2 photos and post them on the main page. Clicking on the photos will link back to the forum.
    It will increase forum traffic for sure.
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.


    F/RoX

  10. #10
    Level 3 User Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Cool. Sounds like your heading in a good direction. Will there be issues with the different levels though or have you allready worked that out? ie if I posted an image in level three and you link to the photo on the main page, ranodom people might not see it. I'm sure you've got something worked out but just curious.

  11. #11
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Cool. Sounds like your heading in a good direction. Will there be issues with the different levels though or have you allready worked that out? ie if I posted an image in level three and you link to the photo on the main page, ranodom people might not see it. I'm sure you've got something worked out but just curious.
    There is no reason for you to post a gallery on L2+ so it shouldn't be a problem.

  12. #12
    Herbal Exploration Crew sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Posts
    1,594

    Default

    I'm liking it Dan. I dig the news articles that pertain to local abandonments and the idea of posting some of the really awesome member's photos on there as well.

    dogfishheaded

  13. #13
    Level 3 User devilc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    +38 52' 15.00", -77 3' 22"
    Posts
    2,185

    Default

    All good ideas Dan.
    Really - you have yet to disappoint with this site.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Cmon people. SPEAK!

    I think I am also going to start highlighting quality member galleries posted here on the main page too.

    Thoughts?

    Ive also started adding other news. fires, demos, rehabs.

    Ideas?
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

  14. #14
    Level 3 User tullo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    belleville nj
    Posts
    103

    Default

    lol my virus program pccillan is blocking the main site for some reason. it says its dangerous.

  15. #15
    Level 3 User Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    There is no reason for you to post a gallery on L2+ so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Cool. Sound interesting, how much work is this going to be for you?

  16. #16
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid? View Post
    It will increase forum traffic for sure.
    I added a sidebar section to the main page that displays the most recent 10 forums posts. This should help a lot too.

  17. #17
    Level ∞ User don corleyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    F/RoX
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    main page looks way more like a blog now, and with the sidebar navigation looks pretty smooth.

    the banner has a typo on it tho! should be "you're" not lost
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

  18. #18
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Ok, got a lot of work done on the theme/look. Do a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) and lemme know what you think.

  19. #19
    kts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Laurel, MD
    Posts
    3,311

    Default

    not a fan of the 2 cameras at the bottom of every post (unless you are going to do something with them like use them as links later on)

    but otherwise i really like the new layout of the front page.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

  20. #20
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kts View Post
    not a fan of the 2 cameras at the bottom of every post (unless you are going to do something with them like use them as links later on)

    but otherwise i really like the new layout of the front page.
    Those are a quick fix to the leaves that were there before (nature theme i hacked). Any ideas for replacement or just make it solid white?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •