Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An update on the church-- RIP.

Default An update on the church-- RIP.

I went to the church yesterday, and when I got there, about 1:30pm, construction crew guys were active and demolishing the rear building area. I left the site for a while-- grabbed some lunch, explored the power plant, and when I came back to the site, the crew had left. And inside the sanctuary, the attached picture I took is what I saw.

Well, the old girl was beautiful while she lasted, and even though its not *technically* being demolished just yet, everything else in the complex is, and it is only matter of time till she is gone. Even the most beautiful sites will get torn down I suppose, but its a damn shame...I will put up pictures from the rest of the excursion soon-- more pictures of the church, and also of the power plant.
    Does anyone know the actual status of what is happening? A timeline of demolition, or what is going to be put up here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails online.jpg  

WTF!? Already? If so, everyone is glad they got there when they did.
    ECUE

damn that sucks.

when i talked to the construction guys about 2 years ago they said it was going to be turned into parking and a gym for the charter school. so F'ing sad that they are tearing that beautiful thing down to replace it with cheap crappy construction.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Quote Originally Posted by kts View Post
    damn that sucks.

when i talked to the construction guys about 2 years ago they said it was going to be turned into parking and a gym for the charter school. so F'ing sad that they are tearing that beautiful thing down to replace it with cheap crappy construction.
    Totally agree w/ the cheap crappy construction.
    ECUE

Yeah I know. That was actually my first time there too. I'm just glad that I got to see the place before a crane actually hits the sanctuary.

Wow... total bummer!!!
    Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying.

what was under the tarps?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I don't know. My guess is that it could either be valuable stuff in the church that will be moved out, or construction equipment. Also, the church has running electricity, so there are probably generators under the tarp. I didn't look to see what was under the tarp, mostly because I didn't want to leave evidence of me being there-- it is a live construction site, after all. Unfortunately, I did leave a trace that I was there, but it the only possible way for me to leave the building.

One more thing::: If anybody decides that they want to try and check this place out one last time, BE CAREFUL. Outside of the church, along the building are signs posted that warn of asbestos contamination. Granted, the construction company is probably required to put that sign up, but it is still something worth considering. Some of the windows in the sanctuary have hoses hooked up to them, and they are sucking asbestos out of the church. I don't know if the vacuums are sucking asbestos from a contained area, or if the asbestos is loose.
    But keep this in mind if anyone wants to go::: You could potentially be going into a room that is completely contaminated by airborne asbestos particles. I was only in there a short time, and I probably was exposed. So just be aware of the risks!

Level 2 User

Its a shame to see it go, Im glad i got in when i did.

Level 2 User

That sucks. I had never figured out where this church was located, and now it looks like it's too late. That's a damn shame.

i pooped in there.
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

Quote Originally Posted by don corleyone View Post
    i pooped in there.
    Where? The confessional booth?
    Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    WTF!? Already? If so, everyone is glad they got there when they did.
    Quoted for the truth!

This is a sad day.
    Work. Buy. Consume. Die.

-Otep

shit.. I never made it there.

fail

you can still can get in there. You have to go either on weekends, or on weekdays past 4ish... i'm not sure when the construction crew is done for the day, but I went there at 5pm and they were gone. The only drawback is that the normal opening into the church is now covered with a pile of rubble, so the only way to get in without actually breaking anything requires some really good climbing skills!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Those are asbestos abatement Clean and Dirty rooms. If you go into the church make sure you have a mask on.

but the thing is--- if the sanctuary is full of airborne asbestos than why are the windows to the church still wide open? The church isn't sealed at all to contain asbestos, so while the people inside the clean room are covered, then wouldn't the asbestos just float out into the neighborhood?

There is some much asbestos that is allowed out into the air by saftey standards. I am not sure of the #'s. The company I work for has had a couple Bldgs abatement since I started working there 5 years ago and I asked the question to the safty dept cause there was nothing stopping the shit from comming out of the place. Do those white tarps go to a door way? If so that how the workers are going into and leaving the work area.