Thread: Canon S90

Default Canon S90

This camera sounds kind of nice for a P&S or even a smaller camera when you don't (or can't) bring the SLR with you.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/digitalcamer...9303405,00.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm

This is a more compact version of the new Canon G11. I have a G9 and it's a solid camera and I've gotten some great shots with it but I like this smaller form.

Ken Rockwell's review (2nd link) is gushing like he usually gushes but he does give a good point that the S90 beats the G11 with a faster lens, more controls, and it's in a smaller package.

The S90 uses the larger G-series sensor (1/1.7" crop) which is a lot larger then what is traditionally put into such small point and shoots. They also reduced the megapixel count, hopefully as a nod to the fact that putting more pixels on a sensor just reduces image quality, so this should have better ISO performance then other things out there that are the same size.

The only 2 things I don't like about this are the price ($430) and the shutter will only go up to 15 seconds.

The 15 second limitation wasn't a problem the few times I've used my G9, but it would be nice if I could do 30 seconds or more and without having to use a firmware hack like CHDK to do it.

If I managed to kill my current Canon P&S I think I'll take a look at this, hopefully by then it's come down in price.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

weird DB error.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

I LOVED my S50 and wish I had kept it for the car.
    If the S90 is a 2009 update, it's likely tits.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

as usual... canon overprices their updates.

lame.

im sticking with Panasonic and Sony lol

Quote Originally Posted by devilc View Post
    I LOVED my S50 and wish I had kept it for the car.
    If the S90 is a 2009 update, it's likely tits.
    Yea my S50 was a great camera. I still use in in the garage when I'm working on the car and need to take pics of something.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity View Post
    as usual... canon overprices their updates.

lame.

im sticking with Panasonic and Sony lol
    Yea the price does stink and this camera probably won't be a huge seller thanks to the high price which is a real bummer since I'm guessing this camera is going to have great image quality and usability and is going to be ignored by the general population.

I'm just hoping that Canon continues down this route of putting larger sensors in point and shoots and working on improving image quality and low light/ISO performance over stuffing more megapixels onto smaller sensors.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

I've wanted a G9/G10 for a while, I may look into this instead.

Quote Originally Posted by futureimpaired View Post
    I've wanted a G9/G10 for a while, I may look into this instead.
    i got a refurb'd G9 and like it.

i'm tempted to get an S90 since it has all the goodies and a smaller size but it's $OMG
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Level 3 User

28mm... Nice! I used to have an S70 and it really does make all the difference.