Thread: A learning experience .....

Default A learning experience .....

Okay ... So I tried to hit up a few locations today and I found a couple churches down in the city too .... but over all, today was kind of a failure ....

I first hit up a certain asylum (I assume it's safe to mention by name due to it's exposure EDIT: please don't. ~corley) .... wondered around a little bit ... every door I tried was locked (which is to be expected) .... but my trip was cut short, before I even got to the cool looking side of the campus due to the pot head ghetto security .... I describe him this way because, I walk around a building and he's sitting there in his car, sees me and speeds off in the opposite direction with a familiar cloud of smoke in his wake (not asbestos, this one set off my scooby sense) .... I chuckle and continue on my way, slowly wondering between buildings hoping to stumble on something cool or even possibly an open door/window ....

Finally I get up close to the main road and he comes driving up and stops me to tell me to get off the property because it's private (although it's state owned ... so wouldn't that mean it's public? since we fund the public? but I digress) ... and it's here that my scooby sense went off the charts, his car reeked and he had a goofy squint in his eyes ..... I was standing 3 feet from his car too .... so he warned me that he was supposed to be giving citations (that he admitted meant nothing) and so, trying to avoid trouble on my first outing ... I just turned and walked away off the property ....

I'm not done with that place yet though, those old buildings and my quick drive by shoot from friday just makes the place more desirable ....

So after the incident, I drove into the city to find a certain factory I'd recently heard about .... on the way I got a little lost though and found an old synagogue and an old church that I'm highly considering checking out in the future ... ended up finding the factory, but upon getting to an open entrance realized how stupid I was for not having a flashlight .... so I'll be going back tomorrow with a more serious demeanor ....

so on my first outing, I've learned a lot and raised some questions .... I really just wanted to share this and vent my frustrations from that one incident ... and if anyone feels like giving some tips, that'd be awesome ...

first off ...

How do you get into some of these places? I doubt it's ever as easy as opening the front door, not in this neck of the woods .... Anyone have a ridiculous story on how they had to scale three stories to a roof and then climb up a drainage pipe to a broken window?

Also, how do you deal with security on a location? or if they're sitting at the entrance of a main road? Do you park a ways off and trek through the woods? There's a place between here and DC that I want to check out and it had a guard sitting on both of the roads leading up to it ....

Also, I'm beginning to compile an exploring bag to have at the ready at any time .... my list so far:
    1.multiple flashlights
    2.camera w/ extra batteries and memory cards
    3. my two lenses (50mm 1.8/f and 18-55 mm stock lens)
    3.monopod (looking into a tripod too. any suggestions on a decently light weight and compact one that's still worth using?)
    5.water bottle

anyone else have something similar? suggestions? what's in yours? lock picking kit? some sweet ninja stars? Jack?
    Last edited by don corleyone; 08-01-2009 at 07:32 PM.

lots of questions. here are a few answers:

first, DO try opening every door and window; you'll be surprised. that campus you were on has a lot of open doors. trust me, we've all gone thru them.

security guards are as different as the people you know. some don't give a shit, some are hard asses, some are clueless, some are cool and will let you walk around if you tell them why you're there. for most intents and purposes, i'd say try to avoid them by going in a different way, but don't run if you're spotted. just be friendly and tell them you're not there to damage or steal anything.

those items that are going in your bag are a good start. here are some more ideas: http://www.urbanatrophy.com/forum/sh...highlight=gear
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

don c beat me to it, but ya don't post location names. it's bad.

tripod > monopod.

the quest for a tripod is never ending. i'm on #4 (or is it #5?) some people get the cheap $30-40 one at best buy/ritz/walmart and it works well for them. others spend $OMG on them. what's best? whichever one works for you. find a camera store like ritz/penn/etc find one that you like and go for it.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

sorry for naming the location, it's so well known around where I live i thought it'd be okay- especially after recent news articles. but it won't happen again.

TLDR. There are 100 threads such as this on this website. Pick through them, read from post 1.

Common sense is paramount.

Always know where you are and why you're there. Know more about the place than the rentacops there do. Always have a reason to be there and look as if you belong.

If you are on the grounds dressed like a ninja or a weekend warrior you'll fail because you look out of place.

Social engineering goes a long way.

If all else fails, I know of no one who's ever been arrested gaining entry to a location on a Sunday morning at 530AM.

Forget the monopod and get a tripod. As with all tools, buy the best one you can afford. There are 10 threads about which tripod is better. It's a Honda vs Toyota argument - try them out @ the store and decide for yourself. I prefer lightweight Slik tripods, Manvil carries a 47 pound tripod for a telescope, KTS has a sweet Manfrotto dealie, and DonC has a tripod his sweet aunt constructed out of old parasols.
    Buy what you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad.design View Post
    Okay ... So I tried to hit up a few locations today and I found a couple churches down in the city too .... but over all, today was kind of a failure ....

I first hit up a certain asylum (I assume it's safe to mention by name due to it's exposure EDIT: please don't. ~corley) .... wondered around a little bit ... every door I tried was locked (which is to be expected) .... but my trip was cut short, before I even got to the cool looking side of the campus due to the pot head ghetto security .... I describe him this way because, I walk around a building and he's sitting there in his car, sees me and speeds off in the opposite direction with a familiar cloud of smoke in his wake (not asbestos, this one set off my scooby sense) .... I chuckle and continue on my way, slowly wondering between buildings hoping to stumble on something cool or even possibly an open door/window ....

Finally I get up close to the main road and he comes driving up and stops me to tell me to get off the property because it's private (although it's state owned ... so wouldn't that mean it's public? since we fund the public? but I digress) ... and it's here that my scooby sense went off the charts, his car reeked and he had a goofy squint in his eyes ..... I was standing 3 feet from his car too .... so he warned me that he was supposed to be giving citations (that he admitted meant nothing) and so, trying to avoid trouble on my first outing ... I just turned and walked away off the property ....

I'm not done with that place yet though, those old buildings and my quick drive by shoot from friday just makes the place more desirable ....

So after the incident, I drove into the city to find a certain factory I'd recently heard about .... on the way I got a little lost though and found an old synagogue and an old church that I'm highly considering checking out in the future ... ended up finding the factory, but upon getting to an open entrance realized how stupid I was for not having a flashlight .... so I'll be going back tomorrow with a more serious demeanor ....

so on my first outing, I've learned a lot and raised some questions .... I really just wanted to share this and vent my frustrations from that one incident ... and if anyone feels like giving some tips, that'd be awesome ...

first off ...

How do you get into some of these places? I doubt it's ever as easy as opening the front door, not in this neck of the woods .... Anyone have a ridiculous story on how they had to scale three stories to a roof and then climb up a drainage pipe to a broken window?

Also, how do you deal with security on a location? or if they're sitting at the entrance of a main road? Do you park a ways off and trek through the woods? There's a place between here and DC that I want to check out and it had a guard sitting on both of the roads leading up to it ....

Also, I'm beginning to compile an exploring bag to have at the ready at any time .... my list so far:
    1.multiple flashlights
    2.camera w/ extra batteries and memory cards
    3. my two lenses (50mm 1.8/f and 18-55 mm stock lens)
    3.monopod (looking into a tripod too. any suggestions on a decently light weight and compact one that's still worth using?)
    5.water bottle

anyone else have something similar? suggestions? what's in yours? lock picking kit? some sweet ninja stars? Jack?
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by devilc View Post
    KTS has a sweet Manfrotto dealie,
    I'm actually using a completely different one now even.

I change tripods like some people change socks.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Forget the monopod and get a tripod. As with all tools, buy the best one you can afford. There are 10 threads about which tripod is better. It's a Honda vs Toyota argument - try them out @ the store and decide for yourself. I prefer lightweight Slik tripods, Manvil carries a 47 pound tripod for a telescope, KTS has a sweet Manfrotto dealie, and DonC has a tripod his sweet aunt constructed out of old parasols.
    Buy what you like.

i just L'd-thefuck-OL
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

Common sense is paramount.

Always know where you are and why you're there. Know more about the place than the rentacops there do. Always have a reason to be there and look as if you belong.

If you are on the grounds dressed like a ninja or a weekend warrior you'll fail because you look out of place.

Social engineering goes a long way.
    Best thing to know is why your there and what the place is and its nice to know about the building.
    Know the date of the property and its best to know the history of the location, so you can bullshit your way outa why you look like a stalker.
    always look like you belong, and when asked while in the moment of shooting, tell them to hold on you will be with them in a min, then look at them in the eye and say yes sir/mam how may I help you?
    MD/DE-crew

MSB waxing philosophical @ 515AM on the way to a pre-dawn entry:
    "If I were rich, I'd never wear the same socks twice. New socks are so fluffy."

Quote Originally Posted by kts View Post
    I'm actually using a completely different one now even.
    I change tripods like some people change socks.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

MSB waxing philosophical @ 515AM on the way to a pre-dawn entry:
    "If I were rich, I'd never wear the same socks twice. New socks are so fluffy."
    he speaks the truth.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Just step up your game.

you'll do fine.
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."