Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird MD on 98 Rock

Default Weird MD on 98 Rock

Did anyone hear 98 Rock last week when the "Weird MD" guys were on the morning show? I heard they were gonna be on but I missed it being in Ohio.

For those that don't know "Weird MD" is a book, part of a series from www.weirdus.com which covers weird, odd, unusual and strange things. The also do lots of abandoned building type stuff and have made a bunch of UE'ers mad in other states for their detailed information published on certain locations.

They contacted us looking for info a few months ago but we turned them down. Im curious to see what they actually got.

From their site:

From Our Editors
    The weirdness of Maryland sneaks up on you. Other states, like New Jersey, attack you with full-frontal bizarreness, but the strangeness of the Old Line State isn't so easily circumscribed. As Matt Lake, author of Weird Pennsylvania, explored Maryland, he encountered an entire menagerie of oddities, including a Goat Man, a Pig Woman, a Bunnyman, and an entire museum of presidential pets. Taking investigative journalism to the outer limits, Lake uncovered a fisherman's feast of outlandish people, haunted places, and weird-but-true travel destinations. This book is more fun than a trip down the Devil's Backbone.

From the Publisher
    It can be called the Free State or the Old Line State, but after our investigations into all that's odd, bizarre, and unexplainable in Maryland, we like to call it the Weird State. And that, of course, is the ultimate compliment. Any state can be called free (though maybe not old line), but to be weird is to be truly special.

And there's no one better to record the strangeness of Maryland, with its cursed roads, oddball museums, curious people, and darn peculiar sites than best-selling author Matt Lake. Matt, being a transplanted Englishman, is himself a bit of a curiosity, so he fit right in. While his investigative journalism wore out a couple of computers as well as his car, Matt was dogged in his research of every strange nook and cranny our state has to offer, and he's recorded it here for you, fellow Marylander.

So pretend Matt still has a car and ride along with him as he visits the giant cider barrel, then sip from the giant martini glass, go see the Love Road rocket, travel carefully down Satan Wood Drive, attend services at the Boring United Methodist Church-but pray that the Goat Man doesn't sit next to you. Go see Hell House, make nice at the Presidential Pet Museum, say hi to the Pig Woman of Cecil County, be courageous and walk along the Devil's Backbone, and while you're at it, sail over to Devil's Island. TIP: If you see the Bunnyman on your journey, move on, fast.

A brand-new entry in the Weird U.S. series, Weird Maryland proves without a doubt that Maryland is filled with a lot more interesting stuff than your history teacher ever told you about. Join Matt on his grand venture. It's a trip, we promise.

I didn't see the morning show, but I have read (flipped through) the Weird MD, PA, and NJ books. IMO they aren't very good, and basically hype up alot of local legends/rumors etc.. If you like ghost tales, and small town legends you might find the book interesting though. As far as locations, everything I saw in there was already fairly well known - hell house, enchangted forrest, glendale etc.. and even the locations in the Weird PA/NJ books I knew about. That being said it is a lot of major hype towards these places (well known or not) that I'm sure will encourage even more people to go. I'd say in terms of abandontments there isnt anything in there that you can't find w/ 30 min by googling a local ghost hunting forum or UE forum - but now this book has taken even that little bit of work out of the process.
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

Level 1 User

just read through this book.
    i think that if they came to MN (which rumor is they will) no one would talk to them.
    a few different thoughts.
    several of the buildings/drains that i first photographed or explored years ago were found b/c i had heard dumb haunting/ghost/urban legend type stories. there was simply a bit of research that had to be done...a book that lists a bunch could be a good starting point/info source, maybe even give some good leads. knowing the silly stories of a place is actually entertaining and in a way part of its history.
    other thought.
    why the heck encourage ghost hunting and stupid antics? If its your only resource for your interest, you are a lazy SOB and deserve the punishment for being stupid and getting caught. Actually saying in the book that buildings are still accessible is careless, and invites vandals. In MN we have a love/dislike relationship with the media (leaning heavy towards dislike). It seems every time there is a story done, another group of idiots makes a blunder trying to be cool. Also, I can see how annoying it would be when someone does the research, finds a great place and then...noobs with giant KLP mag lights/markers mess things up.

yeayeah. 2 points for resurrection of old thread and possible foot in mouth!

I haven't heard it but I was a bit disappointed that the Weird ___ thing has gotten so huge. Back when I was in HS, Weird NJ was a great zine for the locals and I devoured them. But yes they were mostly local legends and personal accounts of ghost stories in hangout places.

When I saw the Weird MD book come out, I admit I groaned. I paged through it and was glad to see nothing that a true UEr wouldn't already know. But I did get reasonably annoyed that suddenly lots of people decided that they loved exploring and that they could do it. From a book. Mmm hmm.

I got a chance to look at the "Weird MD" book over the holidays and was glad to see that they didnt get their little paws on any "treasured" locations.

In the book:
    • Enchanted Forest - pretty much totally gone
    • Henryton - destroyed
    • Glenndale - totally destroyed
    • St. Marys (hell house) - 99.9% gone
    • NPS - under HEAVY construction/renovation

Eventhough thats all they got they still managed to add a lot of BS into the write-ups.

It really just makes me want to do a book of my own.

There's nothing that says you can't. You just have to be smart about the locations, I mean really smart. I've always thought it would be a cool thing is to have a UE mag. The problem with that is that a magazine needs to bring in 20k per month to make it. Not sure the people who explore would dish out that kind of money.

A magazine would be difficult unless you were a country or world traveled explorer like dsankt. To create an entire magazine's worth of new material every issue wouldn't be easy (thats why 75% of the Weird ___ books are filler). A single book would be much more possible.
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

I agree, that's why it's remained a thought.

I found some random book about "haunted places" in the 'new age' section at BAM... it went through all the states in one book.

forgot what the actual name of the book was... I just know that most of the locations listed were ones that are gone/pretty bad shape

Some family members got me copies of MD one for Giftmas, just because they saw vague UE stuff in the back. I was actually pretty happy with it because the existence of such a section can spark interest for people, but there wasn't anything in the MD one that wasn't already known and picked over, so there wasn't so much of the usual threat of teenage firebugs and other vandals finding out about something lesser-known and precious, and ruining it.

I had hoped the balance was intentional and didn't know some of the earlier state books had already contributed to that sort of problem, though. Suck.

Default Weird State

Went to the bookstore for a meeting yesterday and there in the front window was a display of these interesting books. Upon poking around Amazon it seems they have one for Maryland, too.

I only had time to flip through the Virginia one, but it seems chalk full of all kinds of strange and bizarre goodies, including a brief break down of our favorite crazy, sadistic, sterilization-happy doctor many of us are quite familiar with.

It touched on local haunts like Midget Town in Vienna, VA, the Bunnyman Bridge, a bunch of crazy crap in Lexington, haunted Capitol Hill, so on and so forth.

Without detailed scrutiny at the very least I think it's a pretty cool resource of fun and unique places to road trip to for pictures and fun day/weekend trips.

I have heard mention of these books on this forum before and I got the feeling that the MD book wasn't worth the MSRP. On the other hand, I don't know if there is a special niche of uers that would find the book amazingly useful or if the books on other states are of value. I guess it would depend on what you consider Urban Exploration. I have a few books ahead of this one in line but if i can find a used copy cheap enough i would probably skim through.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
    I have heard mention of these books on this forum before and I got the feeling that the MD book wasn't worth the MSRP. On the other hand, I don't know if there is a special niche of uers that would find the book amazingly useful or if the books on other states are of value. I guess it would depend on what you consider Urban Exploration. I have a few books ahead of this one in line but if i can find a used copy cheap enough i would probably skim through.
    I have completely missed any previously started discussion on these books, in which case I fail!!!

Certainly I wouldn't recommend it as anything more than humor/interest/Side Show factor but surpised that that specific site was mentioned in the VA book. I think using it for UE purposes would be a stretch but it certainly doesn't seem to be lacking interesting things to see.

i didn't know that place was in the VA book. most people involved in exploring aren't happy about the books, because they give the info we strive to keep secret or between trusted members out to anyone who can afford a book or a library card.

i wasn't ever worried about it before because the other weird books only had info about places that were already markedly trashed and whored out ghost sighting locations.
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

Quote Originally Posted by don corleyone View Post
    i didn't know that place was in the VA book. most people involved in exploring aren't happy about the books, because they give the info we strive to keep secret or between trusted members out to anyone who can afford a book or a library card.

i wasn't ever worried about it before because the other weird books only had info about places that were already markedly trashed and whored out ghost sighting locations.

To be perfectly honest I had mixed feelings about it, myself, having very similar reservations. On on a quick flip through it didn't look like there was anything too terribly exploited, though. Possibly one to three entries that threw me a bit, sraj being one of them, though the site out of the two that was listed IS the trashed one. Kind of a strange mix between superficially cool to see somewhere I'd been, inspirational regarding new things to check out and a bit upsetting at the broadcast factor.

Thanks Dan! Sorry about the dual-post.

The MD & VA ones don't give away too much and are filled w/ 90% urban legends & ghost tales. The NY & NJ ones piss people off the most as they actually do whore out some pretty nice sites that were previously not as whored.

I love using the word 'whore' as a verb.

Level 1 User

Wink Weird stuff

'Weird Maryland' is but a small sampling. They should see my back yard....!www.normanssigngarden.mysite.com

Level 1 User

Default Weird Maryland

Saw the book a few months ago. Man, they missed my back yard! www.normanssigngarden.mysite.com

Quote Originally Posted by Signguy Norm View Post
    Saw the book a few months ago. Man, they missed my back yard! www.normanssigngarden.mysite.com
    sweet... thats awesome
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."

Quote Originally Posted by Signguy Norm View Post
    Kinda like the neon boneyard in vegas! Would be a cool setting for model photoshoots.

The replica drug store is awesome.