Thread: Legal Consequences of Photographs

Level 2 User

Default Legal Consequences of Photographs

I know most large government owned institutions have little interest in prosecuting you for actually being there, let alone making photographic proof. I would imagine that when it came to private property it is a different story. Is posting/publication of the interior of a site enough to make you culpable for trespass? For b&e? I know that the chances that pics would come across the owner's eyes are slim, but if they did it wouldn't be tough to trace them back to you. Anyone have experience in this area?

If the person has owned the property forever than its tough to say. In any other case you could just say the photos were taken under the permission of a previous owner...

I dunno, has never come up really.

I think that unless you are in the photos they cant use them against you. The NCIS came across my photos of Portsmouth Naval Prison and wanted to press charges but couldnt, even though my friend was in them.

sometimes it does happen that a property owner finds your photos and might know who you are: http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.a...threadid=62855

i know a property owner for a place bugged Dan about a forum member posting photos of his property and they were moved to a private area.

law enforcement is not going to bother with pressing charges if a land owner finds photos that you took of their location. even if you're caught on site by the owner/police most of the time the police are just going to give you a stern talking to and send you on your way sans ticket/arrest. they just don't want to deal with it.

http://www.urbanatrophy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4183 has a link to some legal issues and UE.

if you are selling your photos then you do run the risk of a lawsuit from the property owner, again it would be a stretch to see this happen.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Give me an example.
    I disagree with your first contention. Trespass where I work and you are liable to get shot. Take unauthorized pictures where I work and they will smash your camera AND cut you summons for a Federal misdemeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by blurmore View Post
    I know most large government owned institutions have little interest in prosecuting you for actually being there, let alone making photographic proof. I would imagine that when it came to private property it is a different story. Is posting/publication of the interior of a site enough to make you culpable for trespass? For b&e? I know that the chances that pics would come across the owner's eyes are slim, but if they did it wouldn't be tough to trace them back to you. Anyone have experience in this area?
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

Level 2 User

Quote Originally Posted by devilc View Post
    Give me an example.
    I disagree with your first contention. Trespass where I work and you are liable to get shot. Take unauthorized pictures where I work and they will smash your camera AND cut you summons for a Federal misdemeanor.
    I mean more along the lines of abandoned and unsecured hospitals and institutions, not active or mothballed military or defense areas. I totally understand that those places will prosecute you to the fullest.

Senior Member Reckless Abandonment's Avatar

When we went to a so called Prison in VA they knew we were there and security was driving around like crazy looking for us and then Police started driving around all over the prison grounds and the near by housing development. They definitely were going to press charges against us had we been caught. That was the last time we went there.
    Chuck - This is the worse day of my life.
    Tyler - It could be worse. A woman could cut off your penis while you're sleeping and toss it out the window of a moving car.
    Chuck - There's always that.

a good rule of thumb is to take all obvious precautions and PAY ATTENTION so as not to be seen. Every owner feels differently so who knows.
    I do know that being polite when approached goes way further then being a prick.

As far as charging you with B&E for having inerior shots of a building, I think it would hard to prove you commited the act of B&E so I wouldnt see them persuing that as a charge. But "Criminal tresspas" is a charge in alot of states thats pretty easy to convince took place when they have pictures you shot. They only need to prove it "beyond reasonable doubt".
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.

F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by blurmore View Post
    I know lots of times digital images won't hold up in court because they can be manipulated.
    The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
    Robert Heinlein (1907 - 1988), "Job", 1984