Thread: place names for the galleries

Default place names for the galleries

I won't be offended if this gets deleted as TMI for general access, but I'm terminally curious:

Knowing the names of some of the obfuscated locations by visually recognizing them or from researching their histories, there's got to be stories behind some of the naming conventions used here and on other UE sites. Mostly I'm stuck on Blagtrup.

Is there a tradition like trail names for hikers, where there's some infamous incident that marks the name, does it stand for something? Is it just silly? I mean, really: "Blagtrup." I had to ask.

"blagtrup" is history specific to that location. its pretty random really, ill use things like nearby roadnames, maybe the name of the watershed that structure lies in, a name of a doctor that worked there, etc...

Thanks, Dan.

I've been pretty curious on a few of them, but that one really got me wondering. I'm also not always sure what determines whether people use the real name for a site; public parks are obviously named, but some of the other, relatively safe or bloody obvious locations seem to be as well. I'm guessing that's just something I'm going to have to get a feel for over time.

If its a place like glenn dale that is all over the internet... ue sites, ghost hunter sites, historic sites and even in the news than Ill just use the real name. The place is busted up worse than baghdad and doesnt need protection, its too far gone.

If a place has little vandalism and little evidence of foot traffic... a place not many people know about than Ill try and protect it best I can.

Another reason for fake names at certain places is deals worked out with the person(s) that gave us permission to access them.

funny salix, that was the one that had me stumped as well. Still can't figure that one out - will have to do some more research to find out why that name. I have certainly found that the more untouched or not publically known a site is, the more obscure the name.

Dan - how often do you actually get permission to go on the grounds of these locations compared to going about it in other ways? (if that's not asking too much). When you get permission, is it generally for outside only, or entering as well? Most of my experiences as far as getting permission have pretty much been just on the grounds, but for different purposes, I wonder if you're able to get permission to enter as well.