Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Article about UE?

Umm, wow.
    I like working in the 3D's-- deny, deflect and delay.
    Sorry this has come to light.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by briansbrains View Post
    Not to throw anyone under the bust but I was very careful to leave behind all my polaroid trash and not paint a room
    fixed it for you

sorry to be petty, but at this point i'm too drunk to think any better...

btw, is there any reason this is happening in a public forum? pm's would suffice for confrontation...

Quote Originally Posted by Descending View Post
    This one is going to get good... I'm hearing different things from different people... So, I don't know what's true and what isn't... Personally I think doing any kind of interview is a terrible idea... No matter how its done, we sneak into buildings... There is no good way for that to come off... More people are going to look at us as criminals, than individuals interested in preserving the history of a structure... Then the whole ethics things... Whatever your opinions are on the matter is irrelevant... Adding theft or vandalism to the mix is only going to make us look worse... We can all agree that is something we don't need... I don't know what happened... But, I would hope that any explorer would use an opportunity like this to portray us in a positive light and be smart enough not to do anything that would give us anymore of a negative image...
    i tried to read that but all I got out of it was "... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .. ... ... .. .. .... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..."

Quote Originally Posted by fatLouie View Post
    Damage control? But wheres the damage? The proof is in the pudding, you guys know this

So far I see forum drama and speculation, but no article.

I agree.
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."

Quote Originally Posted by mentok View Post
    fixed it for you

sorry to be petty, but at this point i'm too drunk, immature, and im really tryin to deny, deflect and delay the issue at hand.

fixed it for you.
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.

F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by mentok View Post
    fixed it for you

sorry to be petty, but at this point i'm too drunk to think any better...

btw, is there any reason this is happening in a public forum? pm's would suffice for confrontation...

In defense, the painted room was in an abandoned HOUSE.

And I did leave a lot of Polaroid negative before, but I clean up now.

At least I can admit to my mistakes.

and by the way...

NONE OF THAT WAS DONE DURING AN INTERVIEW FOR A NEWSPAPER..

It's not entirely about the ethics you may have as an explorer.
    But how your portrayed it to media...

Quote Originally Posted by briansbrains View Post
    It's not entirely about the ethics you may have as an explorer.
    But how your portrayed it to media...
    Exactly! Dumbasses....

I have been interviewed for 2 magazine articles, a fox news special and 2 newspaper articles. Done beautifully every time. The media will make us look great if you feed them right.

Default Re-Direction, Post Article about UE

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The media will make us look great if you feed them right.
    Yes sir, you are correct.
    They are mostly lazy, esp our generation of reporters.
    They report what is seen and what is on the surface.
    What a great opportunity to show the media and the reader how awesome we are and what respectful urban artists we are. . . .
    Instead they can see opportunistic hacks?
    We all know that people do take artifacts. That's a personal decision and one that aught be shared with the world.
    It's a matter of discretion. . . .
    It seems that, in this case, discretion was lacking and bad judgement prevailed.
    That said: ladies and gentlemen, let's get all the facts straight and out in the open.
    From the beginning - how, exactly did this meeting come to be?
    Who arranged it?
    Did you contact the Post or did they contact you?
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

Since Mentok is having trouble logging in he asked me to post this on his behalf.

Here are my answers to the questions:

Did you contact the Post or did they contact you?
    They contacted me because they wanted to do an article about DCUE. They wanted to write about urb ex, and get a feel for the DCUE group and new explorers coming out. Hence there was an event at Savage Mill where they tagged along and interviewed a big group. That as well as many discussions with the reporter were what was to be included in the article.

From the beginning - how, exactly did this meeting come to be?
    A reporter called me and wanted to do some exploring, I met her, and then took her exploring w/ a photographer and briansbrains, yes the location was not the best choice, and yes there was some explanation about take nothing but pictures and things, but that to my best knowledge was not included in the article. but it hasn't been published yet, so I'm not sure exactly what will be in the article.

Who arranged it?
    I know I answered this above, but, she asked to go exploring, she shot some pics of brainsbrains and me at the infirm, and then did a lot of interviewing on the phone and at savage mill. She was really enthused and interested in exploring, so I highly doubt that she wants to paint it in a negative light.

Anyhow, thats pretty much my side, yeah there was a fuck up, but I'd rather
    discuss it privately.

So, is mentok still eligible for one of these?

dogfishheaded

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    So, is mentok still eligible for one of these?

why not? i spoke to the reporter for this story and i was there for the exploration. i'm did not see anything that would warrant any of these accusations. i find the whole thing puzzling. especially since the reporter was more intrested in the cigars being smoked than the exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by pens View Post
    why not? i spoke to the reporter for this story and i was there for the exploration. i'm did not see anything that would warrant any of these accusations. i find the whole thing puzzling. especially since the reporter was more intrested in the cigars being smoked than the exploration.
    from the info about this award (here: http://www.urbanatrophy.com/forum/awards.php)

The Media Award is issued to members that have had work published in newspapers, magazines, books or shown on TV.
    until his work is published no award. and by reading the definition unless one of his photos is published he doesn't meet the requirements for this award.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Smile media award?

Quote Originally Posted by kts View Post
    from the info about this award (here: http://www.urbanatrophy.com/forum/awards.php)

until his work is published no award. and by reading the definition unless one of his photos is published he doesn't meet the requirements for this award.
    i do realize, documentation is required to receive the award. i think the award came up to lighten the discussion in this thread. given that there's no published article, i think some people got a little worked about nothing.

why not?
    ummmmm stupidity?

F/RoX

Which reporter was it anyway?
    Was it Siggy?

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm sorry at the end of ALL this-- I just don't see any reason to discuss w/any kind of reporter. I think there is this whole genre growing up and if I see another great sight on the Discovery Channel's Haunted shows I might lose it...
    I don't know what context conversation or interviews were in but people will use any and all for their OWN means. Whatever sells.
    Done and done.

Quote Originally Posted by fatLouie View Post
    Damage control? But wheres the damage? The proof is in the pudding, you guys know this

So far I see forum drama and speculation, but no article.
    Quote Originally Posted by breviceps View Post
    I agree. It seems that some are quick to judge without any proof and it doesn't help shed light on anything relevant to the discussion.

Until we see what that journalist wrote, then there is no point in putting people on the spot for no reason.
    Amen for some voices of reason. Way back in the day, before we laid to rest the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, there was this wacky concept known as "innocent until proven guilty".

Some members of this forum are hounding another member of the forum without having all the facts. I know it sounds crazy, but I will wait to pass judgement on this matter until this article gets published or I see some other concrete proof of wrongdoing.

Did the member in question exercise poor judgement? Maybe. Maybe not. If this article ever gets published, then we can all read it and react to it. But until then, there are no facts. There is merely innuendo, hearsay, he said/she said, rumor, conjecture, gossip (probably internet gossip, the lowest form of gossip) and speculation.

The member in question, Mentok, has contributed generously to this forum and been a member in good standing for a long time and I am not going to join this witch hunt without good reason. If he fucked up, then he can repent and hope for forgiveness.

Without a negative article, unflattering towards the UE world, being published, this whole thread resembles UER/high school/grab ass bullshit more than it does productive discussion.

"Innocent Until Proven Guilty"
    Work. Buy. Consume. Die.

-Otep

Oh don't get me wrong-- I <3 the Mentok as much as anyone... nothing saying.
    I love when anyone can put this in a positive light -- just do.
    But I'm just as protective of "THIS" as other's are.

Just need to see how this all pans out. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid? View Post
    ...everyone that cares about this little hobby of theirs should thank Devil C for starting this thread.

Well, we have seen how this panned out, with Mentok being banned from the forums. So, I won't be thanking DevilC for starting this thread, but I will implore him to help get Mentok reinstated. A member is accused, without proof, of one wrongdoing, and he gets banned? The only people who even know that this article might get published are a small handful or urban explorers. Could we have at least waited until this article got published, and judged it on its content and impact on the UE world, before dropping the hammer? I guess not. There are so many examples of members violating the most basic tenets of the UE code of ethics on this forum, yet they remain members. Are their misdeeds any less egregious? Perhaps they just know the right people?

Somewhere, Stalin is smiling.
    Work. Buy. Consume. Die.

-Otep

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTaco View Post
    A member is accused, without proof, of one wrongdoing...
    Maybe there is proof , and its just not publicly displayed.

F/RoX

Wicked Retarded Crew Descending's Avatar

You guys keep talking about proof... We have proof, another member of the forum was there with him... They saw what he did, heard what he told the reporters...
    F/RoX