Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explore Solo Much?

Default Explore Solo Much?

Does anyone else ever explore alone? Do you explore only with a group? Do you do both? I spent three hours out in the western power whore this weekend and it was cool to just have the entire place to myself. Lots of peace and quiet in some industrial decay.
    Work. Buy. Consume. Die.

-Otep

I did a few times, my only issue is falling through a floor. I feel much safer with a small group just in case something happens. I def feel ya on the awesomeness of being alone, it feels great. But i would like to live a bit longer so i think groups of 2-4 (3 being the magic number) are most ideal fo safety.
    I want to eat your brains and gain your knowledge

I often do both. I went solo on a recon/exploration last night, it was really relaxing. I love exploring in groups but when others are loud, i get nervous.

Definetly NOT Byberrians

Ive done it once, but I agree in the whole saftey in numbers thing. My biggest issue is going with other people who do not really care about taking pictures, they tend to get annoyed at the length of time you can stand in one spot.

I've gone into houses alone and went to Henryton alone the last time I went. I feel better about going to a place I know alone than a new strange place.

Banned

i'm still warming up to doing it alone, typically if its small, or if i really know the place i'm cool w/ it, but i not only feel safer going w/ someone else, i enjoy being able to share the experience with others, although i would like to experience the peace that you're talking about

oh and for size of groups, i agree w/ keala, 2-4 is easiest w/ most places, especially since if your group is bigger you gotta worry about noise

for night photography i find myself alone a lot of the time, although i worry more about safety then so i usually try to shoot in safe places.

During the week I explore alone.
    Weekends are usually when everyone else has time to explore.
    I have no preference.

Level 3 User

Flying solo is always fun. I feel it frees you and your mind for a more visceral experience, its basically Exploring HD

I can take as long as I want to go through a place, I can go absolutely anywhere I please (I get pretty dirty), I can make stupid noises and talk to myself. I can climb all over metal structures, jump around on rooftops, and take things to the limit - without other people waiting below or telling you you're an idiot. Exploring alone definitely gives a location more of a playground vibe... for me anyways.

That being said, I prefer to do first time explorations with a buddy or a group. it's going back where things get intrusting

I prefer to explore with a buddy for the safety factor. If I get injured, at least someone can call for help. I prefer not to go in big groups (although the Eagle Power Plant trip was quite interesting).
    Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by breviceps View Post
    I prefer to explore with a buddy for the safety factor. If I get injured, at least someone can call for help. I prefer not to go in big groups (although the Eagle Power Plant trip was quite interesting).
    Yeah that Power Plant trip was like a class field trip, but so awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by mentok View Post
    Yeah that Power Plant trip was like a class field trip, but so awesome!
    And you know the nice thing about that combined group??? Everyone behaved. (Well, except for the sexytime in the control room.)

I explore solo probably about 1/3rd of the time and the other 2/3rds is with people. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Solo exploring does free you up and forces you to be more aware of yourself and your surroundings. It is also full of suck if you manage to fall through a floor or somehow hurt yourself and/or get attacked by rabid animals/people but so far I have been lucky.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

I explore it groups and solo. With groups I like to be with 1-3 other people usually. That way we are small enough to move quietly but we have enough guys to deal with trouble, be it one guy falls through a floor or we run into less than friendly inhabitants. Other people can be a pain though as was said because of the noise and them getting frustrated with the photography, but thats less of a problem now as my usual UE mates are experinced and photographers as well.

Solo is always fun because I can do whatever I want. I soloed some places in Philly but after some close run ins where I was really wishing I had gone with people (hiding from a group of inner city youths in a closet or running down the stairs away from some random guy come to mind) I dont really solo places in the city anymore. When I solo now it is usually a higher security or riskier location I dont really know. Solo I can move quicker and quieter. It allows me to keep a better ear out as moving makes less noise and I dont get distracted talking to people. Plus one guy sticks out less than 2 or 3.
    'You know what the problem is, Brucie? We used to make shit in this country... build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pockets.'

Solo 95% of the time. Even if it's a new place I've never been to. Like the Brandywine School. I enjoy the peacefullness and really don't have to worry about how long I take to shoot. I see where an extra set of ears and eyes would be helpful. Just a lone wolf.

I like exploring with friends..
    My friends that I actually bring take photos too so they can appreciate the time it takes me to compose a shot, etc.
    There is a fun social aspect to exploring with friends that I enjoy as well I suppose.

I've solo'd a few locations. I'm very fond of it and wish I could do it more often. It is very peaceful.
    For the last year or so though, whenever I go exploring, my girlfriend tags along.. so I don't foresee myself doing any solo exploring again for a while.
    dogfishheaded

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I like exploring with friends..
    My friends that I actually bring take photos too so they can appreciate the time it takes me to compose a shot, etc.
    There is a fun social aspect to exploring with friends that I enjoy as well I suppose.

I've solo'd a few locations. I'm very fond of it and wish I could do it more often. It is very peaceful.
    For the last year or so though, whenever I go exploring, my girlfriend tags along.. so I don't foresee myself doing any solo exploring again for a while.
    And hopefully no more untrustworthy urban exploring buddies for you!

I have never gone with a group, although I have run into some fellow explorers in my travels. However, soon if I have the time outside of my senior year in high school, I hope I can come to any meets.

Quote Originally Posted by breviceps View Post
    And hopefully no more untrustworthy urban exploring buddies for you!
    =]

no worries.
    me and that kid don't get along anymore.
    dogfishheaded

There is a time for every circumstance.
    I've explored alone and when I have it was fun, but there was a reason also. sometimes groups(even 2 or 3) will get you noticed.
    I've also explored in small groups (2 of us) needed for minor safety concerns and large groups(4 or 5) for larger safety concerns.

its all what you perceive to be and how you would rate a potentially dangerous situation or location.
    I think exploring in groups larger (5 or more) is not smart and creates more threats.

Then again I am a paranoid old man, so dont listen to me.
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.

F/RoX

The majority of my explorations have been solo but I don't really recommend it. I have had some extremely close calls and am lucky to have not drowned in the cold Boston harbor or have been forever trapped in an old mine.

But anyways I like going solo for the risky ones when getting caught is a very real treat and carries serious consequences.