17 85.00%
  • No

3 15.00%
  • I dunno

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kirk Or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by mentok View Post
    I wasn't able to find the historical stuff at all...
    Check the link I just posted in L3 for this location. I didn't want to post it here because it would give away the name of the hospital. There are lots more photos.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Face Money View Post
    Check the link I just posted in L3 for this location. I didn't want to post it here because it would give away the name of the hospital. There are lots more photos.
    Awesome, I'll have to do that. I think I might try this out next time I'm near it, although there are better things in the area that might take priority...

Clip Kirkbride wing= Sin.

Yes, that is in fact a Kirkbride. It had it's wing clipped some time in the mid 20th century.
    Do you or anyone else know the reason for the "clipping"? I'd like to think they were forced to demo it because of instability or a fire rather than "Hey Bob, 'taint no one in that part of the building anymore, let's put a parking lot there..."

P.S. I love the Second Empire style of the historic photos!

I know a lot of these places just fall into disrepair as the newer "less institutional" styles became habit. When you have a roof line that is say almost a mile long that alone is a financial burden and since many were slate or tile.. Cha CHING!
    Fires and all other circumstances have "happened" but some conspiracy theorists would proclaim it far more than a coincidence due to the burden of abatement and repair that owners are tied with after assuming these monoliths. I don't think asbestos abatement is as costly after, say, a fire? I could be wrong.
    In the end, you can only build so much new sh*t around an old building that you're letting fall in on itself before you finally have to start "freeing up land"... n'est pas?

I'm not sure what happened to the wing. It could very likely have been any of the things that lesscrafted said in the post above. Fire, low patient numbers, and costly maint all can lead to this type of action by the hospital.

Another interesting thing about this Kirk is the extensive modification to the admin section. It almost looks like the entire front facade was rebuilt. If you compare things like window placement, between the new and old photos, they do not match up. The decorative roof line has also been removed with the addition of another floor, and the ground in front of the building has been excavated and lowered and a new entrance has been built.

You could speculate that the admin and north wing caught on fire and the removal of part of the wing and the modifications to the admin are the result. But if that had happened then I would have to believe that the existing parts of the north wing would have been changed as well, for instance, I doubt that they would have rebuilt the decorative roof line onto just part of the north wing and not the admin.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronNi View Post
    Looking at the pattern of red bushes on the top of the photo makes me think the upper wing was destroyed/burnt and then replaced with a smaller, disimilar wing. Kirk's don't need to be symmetrical really, just styled after the central core with meandering wings concept.
    I agree, and the whole symmetrical thing is true look at buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by TMDtheUE View Post
    I agree, and the whole symmetrical thing is true look at buffalo
    hudson.

leave the gun, take the canoli.

Buffalo wasn't created asymmetrical as it appears today. In 1969 the three brick wards on the east wing were demolished to make room for an adolescent treatment facility.

http://www.asylumprojects.org/tiki-i...State+Hospital

Hudson however was one of the very few, if not the only, Kirkbride that was designed and built asymmetrical. This was because it was believed that there would be less female patients than male, hence the shortened female wing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buffalo_Plan.jpg  
    Last edited by Face Money; 09-18-2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Added Buffalo ground plan

Hudson however was one of the very few, if not the only, Kirkbride that was designed and built asymmetrical. This was because the it was believed that there would be less female patients than male, hence the shortened female wing.

see? i win.
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

WTF.
    Of course it is a Kirk. . . .

Mike's fingers make that large cigar look thin and wimpy. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by lesscrafted View Post

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by devilc View Post
    WTF.
    Of course it is a Kirk. . . .
    Just wanted to see if everyone was up on their Kirks I really should have posted the mini-Kirk from there instead...

Quote Originally Posted by devilc View Post
    Mike's fingers make that large cigar look thin and wimpy. . . .
    It's just his giant Ukranian man-hands. He's not built for delicate work, which considering his associations, is a good thing.