Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for explorers.

Oh another thing... don't attempt to break in a new pair of shoes at an urban exploring trip. Blisters suck.
    Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying.

Nalgine!! Noooo! All about the US Army canteen. There is no way anything other than a gunshot is breaking one, and they get nice pouches. Plus you get to carry a cup with it!

But I wish I knew to dress warm for abandoned buildings, they are usually cold even if its hot outside and in the winter they are downright freezing. Wearing boots is also important if you are somewhere wet, dirty, or otherwise full of debris.
    'You know what the problem is, Brucie? We used to make shit in this country... build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pockets.'

this is the only canteen i take exploring with me:

leave the gun, take the canoli.

unless you are going into the rainforest, i really don't think deet is a necessary ingredient to bug spray. then again....deet didn't do a damn thing to repel mosquitos even when i was in the rainforest...
    Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead. -Angels in America: Perestroika

F/RoX Honorary Member

Quote Originally Posted by angie View Post
    unless you are going into the rainforest, i really don't think deet is a necessary ingredient to bug spray. then again....deet didn't do a damn thing to repel mosquitos even when i was in the rainforest...
    so that's where you've been?!

So here is what I bought today. I went to REI on a whim and found they had rope. I was thinking of getting some rope because if you have to climb up some stuff doing it with 40 lbs of oddly shaped crap on your back is not fun and probably not safe. At REI I found 4mm thick 30ft rope with like 900lbs of tensile strength. Bought a caribiner and a book about knots. What I plan to do with this is if there are areas where climbing is a nessessity I can throw up my rope climb up to whereever (on my own, not with the rope) and then pull my gear up with the rope. The rope is thin enough to stuff in my bag somewhere and not get in the way.

I had to read that twice, since 4mm is utility/accessory cord, not rope.
    Glad you are not climbing on that. Your shock weight on the line would exceed the 900lbs.
    I just picked up 3x BlackDiamond climbing ropes in ghey colors for less than $50 each @ the $0.83 sale there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Neighborhood Watch View Post
    So here is what I bought today. I went to REI on a whim and found they had rope. I was thinking of getting some rope because if you have to climb up some stuff doing it with 40 lbs of oddly shaped crap on your back is not fun and probably not safe. At REI I found 4mm thick 30ft rope with like 900lbs of tensile strength. Bought a caribiner and a book about knots. What I plan to do with this is if there are areas where climbing is a nessessity I can throw up my rope climb up to whereever (on my own, not with the rope) and then pull my gear up with the rope. The rope is thin enough to stuff in my bag somewhere and not get in the way.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by devilc View Post
    I had to read that twice, since 4mm is utility/accessory cord, not rope.
    Glad you are not climbing on that. Your shock weight on the line would exceed the 900lbs.
    I just picked up 3x BlackDiamond climbing ropes in ghey colors for less than $50 each @ the $0.83 sale there.
    Yeah and it loses something like 75% of it's strength when you use a knot.

The package calls it rope but the REI sticker calls it cord.

Some knots are superior to others.
    If you ever want a tutorial on ropes, knots, and rescue work, ping me.
    Pulleys systems are your friend.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by breviceps View Post
    Oh another thing... don't attempt to break in a new pair of shoes at an urban exploring trip. Blisters suck.
    on that note, make sure your shoes fit, a certain kirk killed my feet, of course if could have also been the fluorescent bulb that i stepped on and blew out under my feet

Level 3 User

Quote Originally Posted by angie View Post
    unless you are going into the rainforest, i really don't think deet is a necessary ingredient to bug spray.

There are times that I wish I had taken a DEET shower.

1) Not singling anyone out but when people are just TAAAAALK talk talking nonstop.

2) I just think we need to be reminded how readily chemical components can deteriorate metal grating. (I received an even rougher reminder whilst falling through up to the knee-- worse when you're trying to be quiet and just want to go off on a swearing parade!!)

Quote Originally Posted by lesscrafted View Post
    1) Not singling anyone out but when people are just TAAAAALK talk talking nonstop.

2) I just think we need to be reminded how readily chemical components can deteriorate metal grating. (I received an even rougher reminder whilst falling through up to the knee-- worse when you're trying to be quiet and just want to go off on a swearing parade!!)
    As for metal grating, when your walking on it make sure you keep an eye out to make sure that there isnt a section of it missing, I have seen that alot and if people dont pay attention they can fall right through.

Another tip I learned, if you are walking on metal stairs on some sort of industrial building and you see some that seem to be randomly marked with spraypaint, it probably is to sigbify they are cracked so could in theory break.

Quote Originally Posted by don corleyone View Post
    this is the only canteen i take exploring with me:

Pssh, go black label pussy.
    'You know what the problem is, Brucie? We used to make shit in this country... build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pockets.'

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat222 View Post
    Pssh, go black label pussy.
    fuck black label, go w/ this you'll never complain...and it goes well w/ a good cigar. depending on the place, i like to have a nice cigar while exploring

Quote Originally Posted by mentok View Post
    fuck black label, go w/ this you'll never complain...and it goes well w/ a good cigar. depending on the place, i like to have a nice cigar while exploring

You and your Dalmore, although, it really is delicious.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pluvius View Post
    You and your Dalmore, although, it really is delicious.
    an even better exploring tonic

Quote Originally Posted by mentok View Post
    an even better exploring tonic

Truth.

I need to get me some one of these days

You guys got it all wrong. 9 out of 10 people who actually live in an abandoned building choose this...

We don't live in an abandonment, so it's alright for us to drink absinthe and scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Neighborhood Watch View Post
    You guys got it all wrong. 9 out of 10 people who actually live in an abandoned building choose this...

i have a shot of this bottle somewhere, haha...

out of allll of the things that are left behind in abandonments, this one surprises me the most.
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."