Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67

Thread: Recommendations for explorers.

  1. #21
    Level 3 User breviceps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Posts
    1,524

    Default

    Oh another thing... don't attempt to break in a new pair of shoes at an urban exploring trip. Blisters suck.
    Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying.

  2. #22
    Level 3 User Soldat222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia/Shippensburg
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Nalgine!! Noooo! All about the US Army canteen. There is no way anything other than a gunshot is breaking one, and they get nice pouches. Plus you get to carry a cup with it!




    But I wish I knew to dress warm for abandoned buildings, they are usually cold even if its hot outside and in the winter they are downright freezing. Wearing boots is also important if you are somewhere wet, dirty, or otherwise full of debris.
    'You know what the problem is, Brucie? We used to make shit in this country... build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pockets.'

  3. #23
    Level ∞ User don corleyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    F/RoX
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    this is the only canteen i take exploring with me:

    leave the gun, take the canoli.

  4. #24
    Level 3 User angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    westminster, md
    Posts
    371

    Default

    unless you are going into the rainforest, i really don't think deet is a necessary ingredient to bug spray. then again....deet didn't do a damn thing to repel mosquitos even when i was in the rainforest...
    Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead. -Angels in America: Perestroika

    F/RoX Honorary Member

  5. #25
    Level 3 User briansbrains's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    balt
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angie View Post
    unless you are going into the rainforest, i really don't think deet is a necessary ingredient to bug spray. then again....deet didn't do a damn thing to repel mosquitos even when i was in the rainforest...
    so that's where you've been?!

  6. #26

    Default

    So here is what I bought today. I went to REI on a whim and found they had rope. I was thinking of getting some rope because if you have to climb up some stuff doing it with 40 lbs of oddly shaped crap on your back is not fun and probably not safe. At REI I found 4mm thick 30ft rope with like 900lbs of tensile strength. Bought a caribiner and a book about knots. What I plan to do with this is if there are areas where climbing is a nessessity I can throw up my rope climb up to whereever (on my own, not with the rope) and then pull my gear up with the rope. The rope is thin enough to stuff in my bag somewhere and not get in the way.

  7. #27
    Level 3 User devilc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    +38 52' 15.00", -77 3' 22"
    Posts
    2,185

    Default

    I had to read that twice, since 4mm is utility/accessory cord, not rope.
    Glad you are not climbing on that. Your shock weight on the line would exceed the 900lbs.
    I just picked up 3x BlackDiamond climbing ropes in ghey colors for less than $50 each @ the $0.83 sale there.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Neighborhood Watch View Post
    So here is what I bought today. I went to REI on a whim and found they had rope. I was thinking of getting some rope because if you have to climb up some stuff doing it with 40 lbs of oddly shaped crap on your back is not fun and probably not safe. At REI I found 4mm thick 30ft rope with like 900lbs of tensile strength. Bought a caribiner and a book about knots. What I plan to do with this is if there are areas where climbing is a nessessity I can throw up my rope climb up to whereever (on my own, not with the rope) and then pull my gear up with the rope. The rope is thin enough to stuff in my bag somewhere and not get in the way.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devilc View Post
    I had to read that twice, since 4mm is utility/accessory cord, not rope.
    Glad you are not climbing on that. Your shock weight on the line would exceed the 900lbs.
    I just picked up 3x BlackDiamond climbing ropes in ghey colors for less than $50 each @ the $0.83 sale there.
    Yeah and it loses something like 75% of it's strength when you use a knot.

    The package calls it rope but the REI sticker calls it cord.

  9. #29
    Level 3 User devilc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    +38 52' 15.00", -77 3' 22"
    Posts
    2,185

    Default

    Some knots are superior to others.
    If you ever want a tutorial on ropes, knots, and rescue work, ping me.
    Pulleys systems are your friend.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chuck County In Teh Merryland
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breviceps View Post
    Oh another thing... don't attempt to break in a new pair of shoes at an urban exploring trip. Blisters suck.
    on that note, make sure your shoes fit, a certain kirk killed my feet, of course if could have also been the fluorescent bulb that i stepped on and blew out under my feet

  11. #31
    Level 3 User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angie View Post
    unless you are going into the rainforest, i really don't think deet is a necessary ingredient to bug spray.

    There are times that I wish I had taken a DEET shower.

  12. #32
    Level 3 User lesscrafted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WTF, Alaska
    Posts
    871

    Default

    1) Not singling anyone out but when people are just TAAAAALK talk talking nonstop.

    2) I just think we need to be reminded how readily chemical components can deteriorate metal grating. (I received an even rougher reminder whilst falling through up to the knee-- worse when you're trying to be quiet and just want to go off on a swearing parade!!)

  13. #33
    Level 3 User Soldat222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia/Shippensburg
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lesscrafted View Post
    1) Not singling anyone out but when people are just TAAAAALK talk talking nonstop.

    2) I just think we need to be reminded how readily chemical components can deteriorate metal grating. (I received an even rougher reminder whilst falling through up to the knee-- worse when you're trying to be quiet and just want to go off on a swearing parade!!)
    As for metal grating, when your walking on it make sure you keep an eye out to make sure that there isnt a section of it missing, I have seen that alot and if people dont pay attention they can fall right through.

    Another tip I learned, if you are walking on metal stairs on some sort of industrial building and you see some that seem to be randomly marked with spraypaint, it probably is to sigbify they are cracked so could in theory break.

    Quote Originally Posted by don corleyone View Post
    this is the only canteen i take exploring with me:

    Pssh, go black label pussy.
    'You know what the problem is, Brucie? We used to make shit in this country... build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pockets.'

  14. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chuck County In Teh Merryland
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat222 View Post
    Pssh, go black label pussy.
    fuck black label, go w/ this you'll never complain...and it goes well w/ a good cigar. depending on the place, i like to have a nice cigar while exploring


  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mentok View Post
    fuck black label, go w/ this you'll never complain...and it goes well w/ a good cigar. depending on the place, i like to have a nice cigar while exploring

    You and your Dalmore, although, it really is delicious.

  16. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chuck County In Teh Merryland
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pluvius View Post
    You and your Dalmore, although, it really is delicious.
    an even better exploring tonic


  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mentok View Post
    an even better exploring tonic

    Truth.

    I need to get me some one of these days

  18. #38

    Default

    You guys got it all wrong. 9 out of 10 people who actually live in an abandoned building choose this...


  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    106

    Default

    We don't live in an abandonment, so it's alright for us to drink absinthe and scotch.

  20. #40
    Level 3 User Doomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fredrock, MD
    Posts
    1,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Neighborhood Watch View Post
    You guys got it all wrong. 9 out of 10 people who actually live in an abandoned building choose this...

    i have a shot of this bottle somewhere, haha...

    out of allll of the things that are left behind in abandonments, this one surprises me the most.
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •