Thread: The Abandoned Cars of Patapsco Park

Default The Abandoned Cars of Patapsco Park

Not to sure how many people have seen these. In 1972 when Hurricane Agnes flooded Ellicott City it carried away tons of cars and deposited them in Patapsco Park. It was way too much trouble to try and recover the cars so they just left them there. So there are tons of 1950s and 60s cars rotting in the woods. Now none of them are in any kind of restorable shape or anything. But they are pretty neat to look at. I spent a day trying to find as many as possible and geo tagging them with my GPS so I could find them again.

Here is a couple pics...

An interesting way to spend an afternoon. There are 2 abandoned churches as well...

This is all here...
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...09656&t=h&z=17

Nice pictures! It was weird to see rusted, beat-up cars near the main path. Rumor has it that the Blair Witch Project was filmed around that area.
    Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying.

Blair Witch 2 was filmed in Patapsco Park but in the McKeldin area which is off of I-70 on Marriotsville Rd. Probably actually pretty close to Henryton now that I think of it.

I know the first one was filmed in Patapsco State Park around where you mentioned. I wish that house at the end was still there but they demolished it because after the movie came out, people were visiting it more and it was structurally unsafe.

On a sidenote, they should have left that movie and not made it into a franchise.

I know some of BW2 was filmed at Clipper Mill as well. I've actually never seen either of the movies I just know what people have told me.

Beautiful pictures! The shot of the truck trailer upside down in the river is very, very cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTaco View Post
    Beautiful pictures! The shot of the truck trailer upside down in the river is very, very cool!!
    Yeah that trailer is right below a hill with train tracks on it. At first when I caught a glance of it I thought a train car had ran off the tracks.

I think all your shots are from the daniels area. The mill there was abandoned up until 2005ish, had a couple cool mill ruins. I think a welding company has since moved in.
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

Quote Originally Posted by mANVIL View Post
    I think all your shots are from the daniels area. The mill there was abandoned up until 2005ish, had a couple cool mill ruins. I think a welding company has since moved in.
    They are all from Daniels, I was just talking about the other spots because someone mentioned the movie. But no movies were made in the part with the cars.

I literally got chased out of the welding/mulch place by a guy in a truck who was right on my bumper like he was trying to kill me. But that is a long story.

Quote Originally Posted by mANVIL View Post
    Yup the mill is currently active. When we went there during the spring, my friend showed me it. Too bad there were lots of cars parked around it.

Level 1 User

Hoodwatch:

When I went to view these pics (12/28/09), they were listed as "unavailable." Have they been moved elsewhere?

Thanks
    SITC

Great bike ride!

Those are some pretty cool old cars. I make deliveries down there all the time and didn't even know these were back there.