Thread: a sad day for exploring

Default a sad day for exploring

Picture Taking Intruder Dies Of Injuries In Three Storey Fall
    Tuesday June 17, 2008
    CityNews.ca Staff

He wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. And now it's cost him his life.

A man who fell three storeys into a coal chute at the Hearn Generating Station (power plant in toronto, canada). Sunday has died. The unidentified man was with a friend when the pair snuck into the restricted facility on the weekend, apparently to take what cops are terming "artistic photographs" of the interior of the-soon-to-be demolished building.

The victim ventured out onto one of the catwalks to get a better angle when disaster struck - he lost his balance and took the terrifying tumble.

His friend immediately called for help, but it was no easy rescue.

The man was trapped inside the cavernous hole for three long hours, painfully pinned by a piece of metal that wound up lodged on top of him. "He fell on top of the steel plate and while he was trying to get himself out or move around he ended up sliding underneath and getting pinned," Toronto Fire Dist. Chief Paul Halls reported at the scene.

It took crews a while to reach him and gingerly lift him out, realizing he'd suffered serious internal injuries.

But how serious wasn't clear until doctors treated him in hospital. And despite their best efforts, he succumbed there on Tuesday. His name hasn't been released but his family has been notified.

The Ministry of Labour and Police are both still probing what happened.

according to other documents i've read, the man was named ryan, was 27 years old, and it took the fire department 3 hours to get him out. at the time, they thought he would live despite the injuries he received. unfortunately that wasn't the case. it's a very unfortunate incident that we should remember could happen to any of us who are not careful.

article source: http://www.citynew...ws/news_23897.aspx
    Last edited by don corleyone; 06-17-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

Wicked Retarded Crew Descending's Avatar

Teh Suck....
    F/RoX

Damn......
    I masturbate alone.

F/RoX

Thats really sad. I guess it just goes to show how careful we all have to be.

Jeez. You never really think about this being a lethal "occupation" until someone dies. A very sad day in the history of UE.

Level 3 User

Wow... Makes you want to think twice about stepping out onto that rusty catwalk... Bummers.

I'm just glad this doesn't happen more often. I've been actively reading UE forums for about 3 years and I think this is only the 3rd story I've ever heard of an 'explorer' dying. Usually it's from a fall.
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

Gee craps... and this is why I remain a complete and total wuss.
    Impact & crush injury... yucks.

An awful and horrific way to go, let alone be for all that time stranded.

What a bummer. I am really surprised that this does not happen more often. Hell we almost lost Fat Louie the other day.

This is why I patiently wait for the day I find a human body while exploring. I found some old bones but that is it so far.

Damn, this blows

Ive had my shares of spills and falls...and I pray they continue to happen at 20ft or less.

Edit: Said he fell from 3 stories, that's 30 feet...shit, guess Ive been close and try to keep it to 10 feet from now on.
    "There is but one truth. If you avert your eyes from it, you will always remain nothing more than a puppet"-Schwarzwald

Thats really bad and creepy to think that it could have been one of us.

Banned

This certainly will keep me on my toes more.

Quote Originally Posted by lesscrafted View Post
    Gee craps... and this is why I remain a complete and total wuss.
    Impact & crush injury... yucks.
    I'm with you on that. I'm glad I trust my gut when it comes to this stuff.

well I can tell you being careful works some of the time , but last year I was creeping and checking stairs etc at a power station and I stepped down on this platform and before I could react I was in water way over my head that was very cold and had to fight to pull myself out, my arm is till fucked up...