Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 101

Thread: Urban Atrophy - the book

  1. #1
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default Urban Atrophy - the book

    As my only real 2008 resolution I told myself I would get started on and hopefully have a book
    published for my “Urban Atrophy” explorations and photography. It will basically be a photo book
    with a few pages on each place I have “visited”. While mainly photos I’m doing a little history
    research/write-up for each as well.

    I am no graphic designer and I suck at grammar/English but I’m taking this on by myself. I few
    publishers have showed interest but if all else fails I have a self-publishing route I am prepared
    to take.

    Currently I am working to get one location done. Once I am happy with the layout/look I will use
    it as a template and start knocking out the others. Have a look and lemme know what ya think.

    2 images = 4 pages




  2. #2
    Level 3 User lesscrafted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WTF, Alaska
    Posts
    871

    Default

    I like the kind of scattered layout only suggestion I would have is to be careful abutting pics like that-- I just think it would make it look too crowded. I really like that "blueprint" style background of the hospital & I definitely would keep the mix between the b&w and color shots.
    I'm sure you'll do great things. Put me down for at least one.

  3. #3
    Level 3 User briansbrains's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    balt
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    looks perftect enough to me.
    i can't wait to see/own the finished book.
    i peed a little in my pants.

  4. #4
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lesscrafted View Post
    I like the kind of scattered layout only suggestion I would have is to be careful abutting pics like that-- I just think it would make it look too crowded.
    It shouldn't feel crowded at full size. i know it looks tiny here...

  5. #5
    Level 3 User YellowSled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    id buy it.
    ~Evan~ UA member #12
    Kosher Sausage, what?

  6. #6
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KosherBenz View Post
    id buy it.
    You and hopefully 8 quadzillion others.

  7. #7
    Level 3 User Sheva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    I'm on the list. Looks great!

  8. #8
    Level ∞ User don corleyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    F/RoX
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    do a good job, dan, cuz i plan to plagerize the shit outta yours when i make mine the end of this year or next.



    j/k, bro. looks good so far. a little issue with the text on pg 3 near the bottom, but i know you'll fix it before it presses.
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

  9. #9
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by don corleyone View Post
    do a good job, dan, cuz i plan to plagerize the shit outta yours when i make mine the end of this year or next.



    j/k, bro. looks good so far. a little issue with the text on pg 3 near the bottom, but i know you'll fix it before it presses.

    I should scan in one of those f/rox stickers and just randomly place it somewhere in the book at actual size.

  10. #10
    Level 3 User Doomed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fredrock, MD
    Posts
    1,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I should scan in one of those f/rox stickers and just randomly place it somewhere in the book at actual size.
    haha yes you should.
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."

  11. #11
    Wicked Retarded Crew Descending's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    F/RoX
    Posts
    1,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I should scan in one of those f/rox stickers and just randomly place it somewhere in the book at actual size.
    What a great idea...
    F/RoX

  12. #12
    Level ∞ User don corleyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    F/RoX
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I should scan in one of those f/rox stickers and just randomly place it somewhere in the book at actual size.
    you have my vote
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

  13. #13
    Level 3 User octopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    GERMANTOWN
    Posts
    752

    Default

    You got my vote as well! Now you are gonna have to do a book signing for all those free books you give us UE kids! Or you can do a book reading for us....Seriously though it would make a great coffee table book! Goodluck!
    I masturbate alone.

    F/RoX

  14. #14
    Level 3 User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    newark, DE
    Posts
    791

    Default

    That first page does feel a bit crowded, but everythings looking real good dan.

    I think you should give a free f/rox sticker with each book.

  15. #15
    Level 1 User Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    You got my vote as well! Now you are gonna have to do a book signing for all those free books you give us UE kids! Or you can do a book reading for us....Seriously though it would make a great coffee table book! Goodluck!
    Yeah I want a signed first edition!

  16. #16
    Wicked Retarded Crew Descending's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    F/RoX
    Posts
    1,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shanky View Post
    That first page does feel a bit crowded, but everythings looking real good dan.

    I think you should give a free f/rox sticker with each book.
    Hey, we don't just hand those things out...
    F/RoX

  17. #17
    Level 3 User Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I should scan in one of those f/rox stickers and just randomly place it somewhere in the book at actual size.
    I don't think you should scan it in. Just peel one or two off and stick them in a random few books. Isn't that what the f/rox crew does?

  18. #18
    Level 2 User Village Idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Durt Burg, WV
    Posts
    284

    Default

    What about possibly bringing the Banner for the hospital all the way across the page and meeting with the black portion where the text is. It looks a little odd just stopping where the next picture stops.

    That and the text issue mentioned above. White text + concrete = me being able not to read it. I do have my glasses on, I swear.

    Other than that I like it.
    I am so smart. I am so smart. "S" "M" "R" "T". I mean, "S" "M" "A" "RRRRRR" "T" - Mr. Simpson

  19. #19
    Reality Hacker Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    What about possibly bringing the Banner for the hospital all the way across the page and meeting with the black portion where the text is. It looks a little odd just stopping where the next picture stops.

    That and the text issue mentioned above. White text + concrete = me being able not to read it. I do have my glasses on, I swear.

    Other than that I like it.
    That is in the center of book where the crease/fold will be. It wont appear as a hard line like that itll just disappear into the binding of the book.

    Also the book will be many times bigger than the actual size you see on screen. Any reading/size issues will go away.

  20. #20
    Level 2 User Village Idiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Durt Burg, WV
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    That is in the center of book where the crease/fold will be. It wont appear as a hard line like that itll just disappear into the binding of the book.

    Also the book will be many times bigger than the actual size you see on screen. Any reading/size issues will go away.
    OK. I thought each was a full page, didn't realize that.
    I am so smart. I am so smart. "S" "M" "R" "T". I mean, "S" "M" "A" "RRRRRR" "T" - Mr. Simpson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •