View Poll Results: Should we disguise location info?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 62.22%
  • No

9 20.00%
  • Tough call - Undecided

7 15.56%
  • WTF are you talking about?

1 2.22%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locations names and detailed info

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Another reason I'm asking is because I really wanna start work on a large photo/history book this year. I don't wanna put a ton of effort into something that years down the road will be totally overlooked because of fake names.

People that were confined to these places, people that have relatives who died in these places, people who helped build or worked in these places would love a book. And none of them would know the book even existed when researching specific locations.

The book will be well known to UEers fake names or not and almost selfishly non-existent to everyone else.
    I agree with some of this. A photo book that focused on history (rather than urban exploration) would be significantly hindered by the use of fake names. I think there is a way around this which would let the book use real names but still not whore out our unknown gems. By having the book focus on locations that are either:

(1) famous, well known spots - american brewery, beth steel, pabst brewery, carrie furnaces, fort washington
    (2) on their way to being demo'd / refurbed - westport, thistle mill, NRL, gunther, national park seminary, amendale, Tome, hellhouse, fort howard, Lorton
    (3) are either ghetto or not easily accessible - newark jail, hebrew orphan/lutheran, ft carroll, ghost ship
    (4) They're already trashed, or we simply don't care/aren't worried - glendale, jones falls, henryton, enchanted forest, byberry. You could even potentially include the "new byberry" just outside philly, Rose training school, and the "Washington" powerstation.

There's more than enough sites that fit the criteria I've listed above to make a good book, especially if you're including many large color shots from each locale and giving a detailed history, but still not whore out our treasures. I actually went through your galleries and prob 2/3 fit one of those criteria. I would "spare" sites that are not well known (outside our crowd) or are semi active. I personally would not include the real names for the following places (your pseudonyms):

Dogwood State Hosp - very active campus. I don't know the legality of how a book showing interiors of this place would play out.

Hilltop state Hosp - although we know about it, only few people outside our MD group have been here. It's also completely devoid of vandalism. And on an active campus.

House of Refuge - active campus, devoid of vandalism, not well known.

I would probably leave the 2 churches off the list also. Although they're well known to the l33t UE crowd they're both untouched and unknown comparatively. What do you think?
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

Quote Originally Posted by mANVIL View Post
    What do you think?
    I see where you are coming from and it makes sense. But Id disguise a location before totally removing it from a list.

Wicked Retarded Crew Descending's Avatar

I agree... A book is slightly different than throwing the information up on a website... Either way you'd have to be careful throwing names and interior photo's of places we aren't suppose to be out there for everyone to see... You never know who's going to be looking...
    F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Another reason I'm asking is because I really wanna start work on a large photo/history book this year. I don't wanna put a ton of effort into something that years down the road will be totally overlooked because of fake names.

People that were confined to these places, people that have relatives who died in these places, people who helped build or worked in these places would love a book. And none of them would know the book even existed when researching specific locations.

The book will be well known to UEers fake names or not and almost selfishly non-existent to everyone else.
    I aggree totally. At least the real names should be given out. Its hard as hell to find some of these places and a bit selfish to not even help someone out. If many of you had trouble finding any places at all you would want help. I understand the protection of places but the names will lead to more pictures and preservation of history.

Quote Originally Posted by MDexplorer View Post
    I aggree totally. At least the real names should be given out. Its hard as hell to find some of these places and a bit selfish to not even help someone out. If many of you had trouble finding any places at all you would want help. I understand the protection of places but the names will lead to more pictures and preservation of history.
    i agree with dan as well to an extent... but i wouldnt be too eager to put all the real names out there. and it is very hard to find new places, internet research is the biggest thing when first starting out, when you see history or fake names of places, all you can do is research what you have in front of you, and eventually you will find many helpful sites, and so on... so with experience in this hobby comes a sort of ease with finding locations. Disguising locations isnt really selfish, it really is supposed to be a way to at least slow down the unnatural decay( by scrappers, taggers, and vandals) of these locations.
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."

Quote Originally Posted by MDexplorer View Post
    Not everyone wants pictures... The more traffic these places get the worse they end up... You want them bad enough you'll find them... Make friends...
    F/RoX

Senior Member Reckless Abandonment's Avatar

I know I am pretty late on this thread, but as being some what new to UE. We started going to places in 2008 so it's been about a year. I always go with the same 4 people and in the past year we have been to over 10 different places mostly hospitals, but 2 jails, and some schools. I know how hard it is to find the names of the real places and most of the time even after finding the real names it's even harder trying to find anything anywhere on the internet about the location almost as though it never existed. Example PAX, when I found it's real name I searched for days until finding lawsuit documents that had an address. Even Still I think keeping the names hidden is better. I actually use to have some real names of places posted on our myspace page. After talking to some people from here about it we have decided to change most of the names and I removed the three maps I had to Glendale and Henry. I think it helps seperate people who are really passionate about history and these places and what they truelly were from the kids who just want to tag or burn something down.
    Chuck - This is the worse day of my life.
    Tyler - It could be worse. A woman could cut off your penis while you're sleeping and toss it out the window of a moving car.
    Chuck - There's always that.

Funny, you give us shit for acting like UE gods and trying to tell you how to do things. Looks like you did exactly what we told you to.
    F/RoX

Senior Member Reckless Abandonment's Avatar

It wasn't so much doing what you told me to, it was more of understanding what you were saying that was all.
    Chuck - This is the worse day of my life.
    Tyler - It could be worse. A woman could cut off your penis while you're sleeping and toss it out the window of a moving car.
    Chuck - There's always that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Abandonment View Post
    It wasn't so much doing what you told me to, it was more of understanding what you were saying that was all.
    I don't think a lot of people realize this, we don't really just give people a hard time for the hell of it. There is a point to it all. If you'd stop feeling like we are attacking you for nothing and actually listen to what we are saying, it makes sense.
    F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by Descending View Post
    Funny, you give us shit for acting like UE gods and trying to tell you how to do things. Looks like you did exactly what we told you to.
    I think it's more that we didn't see it in the same light. After truly listening to you guys, rather than saying, "hey you know what, go to hell, we'll do whatever...," we took something from it. We came to the realization that you guys weren't being assholes to the 'new kids,' but you were passionate about what you do. There are a lot of dumb fucks out there who can't keep their hands to themselves and fuck it up for all of us. So after you all explained it, we discussed it, and it made perfect since. So thank you.

My conclusion: The names are better off hidden. Find the places for yourself. Certain places will be found either way, but others are well hidden and certainly not easy to locate.
    "Photograph each day so we can live forever..."

That's a hard call. I see ALOT of places that I'd love to go to on here but don't know where they are. Although I am able to piece together information and find new locations I think it should be kept on the dl. The more ppl that know about these places the faster they will get fucked by scrappers and vandals. That's not what these buildings are for..only pass the info to the people who are here to capture the beauty of these places and share their experiences.

Well...I just voted in a really old thread. I hate when I fall for that.

I voted yes even though I've yet to go to a single place outside of Richmond. Just seems like the legally smart thing to do. As far as keeping people from finding it...imo it would only be a matter of time and I would think that this forum would have little bearing on what other people do on other web sites. Take for example (w)reckless abandonment before joining this site. UE is everywhere on the interwebz. I know because being a newb myself I searched and found a number of specific locations/names.

Anyways if something was said similar that was posted before last year I didn't read it....figure youtube/google.myspace has gotten more widespread since then anyway.
    -Jason