View Poll Results: Should we disguise location info?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 62.22%
  • No

9 20.00%
  • Tough call - Undecided

7 15.56%
  • WTF are you talking about?

1 2.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locations names and detailed info

Default Locations names and detailed info

I am beginning to take a second look at disguising location names and site info to "protect" a site. It is well known around here that we don't like to post location info in public areas for reasons of unwanted people visiting "our" spots.

Looking back on the events of the past year especially I am really starting to think twice on the subject. Sure, using fake names might keep a few vandals away from a site but it will also keep away some people that'd love to see it. I mean how long do these places have left anyway, they aren't gonna be around forever. Even the best kept secrets are disappearing off the map at a rate that threatens the very existence of what was a booming UE buffet.

In the Baltimore area alone this year we have lost multiple hospitals, multiple power plants, a brewery or two and dozens of other small spots. And it wasn't due to vandals, arsons, etc. It was the direct result of development, demolition, re-use, etc.

Does it really hurt to share?

Some might say hell yea, look at a place like Henryton. Id like to think that the downfall of such places is not a direct result of online publicity tho it may contribute. It becomes a playground for the local kids (a troubled youth center) and word of mouth takes over from there. I know for a fact that a lot of the graffiti and vandalism there is from local kids to Marriotsville.

And lets not forget the legal issues that may arise. Another reason to disguise location names/info is to keep property owners happy. Plus its kinda like advertising your criminal activities when you post pics.

What do you think? Discuss.

even though a lot of vandalism comes from word of mouth, some does still come from internet research of kids finding "haunted places" to go and get sweet pics of orbz... so i think it would help at least a little bit to disguise the locations...
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."

Banned

As much as I would love to know the real names of certain places, part of the fun for me is trying to figure out what a place is. I agree that it would be nice to share since some of the people who are looking for these places are genuinely interested, but it will make it that much easier for vandals to get there also.

As far as legalistics go...I'm not exactly sure about this, but is there any possibility of liability for giving out locations?

Also, there does seem to be a large internet ghost hunting community that seems to have a very loose tongue when it comes to location names and directions. In fact I believe there are some places where if you reference a location from the gallery here, the rest of the ghost hunting community will easily give you the real name. It feels a little disconcerting, but I think whatever you do you won't be able to prevent vandalism.

I think word of mouth goes further then the web. But I still believe we should keep the fake names. Also some "high class" scrappers who have a PC may use the web for info.
    I masturbate alone.

F/RoX

I'd keep using the fake names. Although the spots you mention in your post (the breweries & Power Plants in baltimore) are coming down due to development, that is not the case in many other areas. Many of us are now exploring well outside the realms of maryland - in areas that are not seeing the same economic growth as maryland and hence their abandonments have no (or little) threat of redevelopment. I can think of quite a few awsome places where the majority of the traffic is people from the UE community.

Yes, people knew about henryton long before it hit the internet. But why then has it become so much more trashed in the last year even though it sat vacant for what...ten?
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

Tough one.

I like the fake names.
    It's a hunt to try and find them otherwise.
    & I like having the places more 'secret'.

Maybe keep them fake to anyone who isn't a member to the site?

Wicked Retarded Crew Descending's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by briansbrains View Post
    Tough one.

I like the fake names.
    It's a hunt to try and find them otherwise.
    & I like having the places more 'secret'.

Maybe keep them fake to anyone who isn't a member to the site?
    There are things your not seeing....

We have enough trouble losing spots to redevelopment and such... Throwing the names up and making it easier to find is just going to make things harder on all of us... Drawing more attention to a location is not something we need... Some places might not be around much longer but, I'd like to see them left alone for the rest of their days... Henryton is fucked, don't give them access to places they don't know about...
    F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by Descending View Post
    There are things your not seeing....

We have enough trouble losing spots to redevelopment and such... Throwing the names up and making it easier to find is just going to make things harder on all of us... Drawing more attention to a location is not something we need... Some places might not be around much longer but, I'd like to see them left alone for the rest of their days... Henryton is fucked, don't give them access to places they don't know about...

I agree.

What I'm trying to say is I wish I knew where some of these places were so I can appreciate the time they have left standing.

Wicked Retarded Crew Descending's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by briansbrains View Post
    I agree.

What I'm trying to say is I wish I knew where some of these places were so I can appreciate the time they have left standing.
    Research sir...
    F/RoX

I cant see any good reason to put that info out there. If you cant build relationships and trust to ask for help or do the research yourself, then you should not know these sites.
    ~Evan~ UA member #12
    Kosher Sausage, what?

I think that if someone really can't find a place on their own, then they should PM someone for help. I don't think that any good could possibly come from putting the real names of places out there for all to see.
    And there are enough known places like Henry to allow people to prove that they are trustworthy and then they can be promoted to L2 and L3 where they can see all the locations and details.

Quote Originally Posted by Face Money View Post
    And there are enough known places like Henry to allow people to prove that they are trustworthy and then they can be promoted to L2 and L3 where they can see all the locations and details.
    I'm not referring to the database info here just the simple names and write-ups on the main page gallery.

L3 should never be public.

I've thought about this the last few days and tried to formulate a good response. I still don't have what I want to say down properly but here it goes.

The actual names of the place should not be posted/freely given out. If people want to find a place in your gallery they should have to do the research to find it. When I got started in this hobby I used the information you gave and what I could find in the photos to discover where the location really was. In some cases your descriptions when popped into google would list the place immediately, other times it required a bit more research.

Having to do the research to find places is a HUGE part of UE that not nearly enough people do in this hobby IMHO. I'd say that I get almost as excited about finding a spot via research/sat views as I do actually going to a new spot.

I think that if true names of locations are given the locations will become new playgrounds for people who we propably don't want being there and that will cause more unwanted attention to the place and possibly ruin the location for new explorers who will follow the adopted motto of "take only photographs, leave only footprints."

Basically if someone really wants to see a place and become a UEr they will put in the effort to find it just like we all did when we first started out.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Pseudonyms are, of course, the best and only way to go here.
    If this were not an open public forum used by many - it might be a different matter.
    We have, collectively, agreed to not share name and location information - except between those of us we know and trust.
    What specifically is the question?
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

Level 3 User

I see Dan's point about using the real names since a good portion are falling to pieces, being redeveloped etc. but like others have said the research that goes into finding some of these places is a large part of UE.
    If we take the challange of research and recon away we are creating a phone book for smart (if any are) scrappers and leet doodz that want to find teh sweet orbz and Xplor teh hozpitalz at night only to fall through a floor. I think that by doing this it will also create unwanted attention to the community by allowing easier access to bad seeds that burn things and create a bad name for good UE'ers.

Divert, deny, dismiss... could certainly be worse, but I have to concur with the majority here, trust those you know & keep things under wraps as much as possible. Need to know basis.

I have to object to revealing locations simply because of all the work I had to do just to find them myself from the clever renamings and all that. I'll be damned if I'm going to make it easy on others. lol

I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public. Bravo.

Another reason I'm asking is because I really wanna start work on a large photo/history book this year. I don't wanna put a ton of effort into something that years down the road will be totally overlooked because of fake names.

People that were confined to these places, people that have relatives who died in these places, people who helped build or worked in these places would love a book. And none of them would know the book even existed when researching specific locations.

The book will be well known to UEers fake names or not and almost selfishly non-existent to everyone else.

That does present a problem when looking at it in that respect. Your key demographic wouldn't be able to locate a book that talked about a place they had been if they didn't know the code.

I guess the question then is just what do you intend to put in there (not digging for info lol). I would assume that there are some too well known sites that really don't matter all that much such as the boat graveyard or hell house or one of those types of places.

The good thing about them is that you could shed a great deal of light on them with the loads of images you have.

I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public. Bravo.

I see your side to it Dan and it sounds like a good idea on paper, but once you get a book out there like that "wired MD places" book, it will be a to do list for Arsonisty, taggers, scrappers, squatters and so on..... Using a fake name it the best way to go out it if you truly care about those sites.
    ~Evan~ UA member #12
    Kosher Sausage, what?