Thread: 7 Deserted Wonders of... (Part 2)

Default 7 Deserted Wonders of... (Part 2)

7 More Deserted Wonders of the Modern World
    WebUrbanist

(7) Gunkanjima, Japan: Once known for having one of the highest populatioin densities in the world (1.4 people per square meter) “Battleship Island” is now completely deserted. Known today as “Ghost Island,” this strange place stands out from other hundreds of abandoned Japanese islands for its massive concrete sea walls and omnipresent and ominous concrete architecture. Some people have snuck onto the island to take photographs and explore.

(6) Varosha, Cyprus: Photographing this city, fenced off by the Turkish military in 1974, is forbidden. These images show a rare glimpse inside of this eerie ghost town. The area was once home to thousands of Greek Cypriots who have been denied for decades the right to return to their homes. The photographer who took these images nearly lost his camera to a military patrol, and the slanted angles are a result of shooting from his side when he could.

(5) Verona, New Jersey: The Essex Mountain Sanatorium is an amazing example of a prevalent type of abandonment. Mental hospitals were largely abandoned in the United States during the 1960s and 1970s, being widely considered no better than prisons for the mentally ill. In the wake of this movement, many such building complexes were simply left to decay over time. Of course, breaking into these and taking photographs often yields interesting stories.

(4) Bangkok, Thailand: This former Russian Embassy, including the century-old Luang Sathorn Mansion, is remarkably preserved despite being long abandoned. Sound-proofed and metal-lined walls tell the story of what was once a Russian intelligence stronghold during the Cold War. Pieces of intelligence and communications equipment are strewn about, but much of the architecture and decor remain intact.

(3) Pyongyang, North Korea: Once slated to be the largest hotel structure in the world, the Ryugyung Hotel building remains incomplete, a towering but hollow concrete shell. At over 1,000 feet high, this building represents a political response to the South Korean company’s equivalent. It is unclear whether the structure will ever be finished. For now, it remains an empty giant on the skyline.

(2) Detroit, Michigan: The population of detroit has decreased by half over the past fifty years. Vast areas of land have been cleared in an effort to rid the city of its abandonments, but many structures still remain. Even landmark buildings of historical and architectural value have been demolished. People tend to think that all urban areas grow over time, but Detroit provides a striking counterexample.

(1) Centralia, Pennsylvania: Fourty years later, this abandoned town is still burning from below, due to a coal mine fire that never went out, bringing underworld metaphors to life. Carbon monoxide rose to dangerous levels (and sink holes opened up beneath unsuspecting residents) before many left the area for good. Today, a few people still live in or around Centralia, though smoke continues to curl up out of the ground and through gaping cracks in highways. Some try to comprehend it through fascinating videos of the town. Others just pass through, documenting their experience of this surreal place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1271852931_fd45f31d55_o.jpg   1271853517_19e04200ec_o.jpg   1271855431_02f5662694_o.jpg   1271856123_ea68207540_o.jpg   1271857371_2756bc5b18_o.jpg  

1272719180_4e445b7767_o.jpg   1272721414_fee7b561fc_o.jpg  

I can't say I agree with this list or the following one as the best "deserted wonders" of the world. All of the sites listed are "interesting" but I can think of many more spectacular and fascinating places than what is listed. I'm probably glad they didnt list those places though, as it would just draw unnecessary attention to them. I also don't see why they chose the "Essex Mountain Sanitarium" as their pick to cover the abandoned hosptial/asylum genre. It doesnt exist anymore and if it did, it wouldnt even be the most interesting abandoned hospital in that state.
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

Level 3 User

The Japanese island looks awesome... There are some very interesting places you have listed here.
    CelticRaven
    ~Sarcasm is my superpower~

#1 is horseshit! no way centralia should be #1. the whole city is torn down, and it wouldn't be #1 even if all that stuff was still there. the original list is better, but battleship island and cyrpus on this list are very cool.
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

Quote Originally Posted by don corleyone View Post
    #1 is horseshit! no way centralia should be #1. the whole city is torn down, and it wouldn't be #1 even if all that stuff was still there. the original list is better, but battleship island and cyrpus on this list are very cool.
    im with you on that one.... and that cyprus place looks amazing
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."

Level 3 User

Quote Originally Posted by don corleyone View Post
    +2 on that cause its a long wasted walk. Wish i didnt hold my breath on this.

Cyprus and Japan are the only really cools ones left.

The North Korea one looks pretty cool, just dont want to die.
    "There is but one truth. If you avert your eyes from it, you will always remain nothing more than a puppet"-Schwarzwald

the front of that house in detRIOT has collapsed since the list was released.

http://michpics.wordpress.com/2007/0...ts-brush-park/
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

Centralia was so god damn boring I wanted to jab my eye out with a fork.

I wish that island was more accessible in Japan, I woulda gone if it was anywhere remotely close to where I was going.

There are far more cooler locations than a lot of these. Russia and Eastern Europe is an untapped goldmine. I need to go back.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE