Thread: 7 Deserted Wonders of... (Part 1)

Default 7 Deserted Wonders of... (Part 1)

7 Deserted Wonders of the (Post)Modern World

WebUrbanist

(7) Ghost Towns of the American West are what come to mind for many when they think of abandoned settlements. However, there are fascinating abandonments all over the world. Some of these have a clear historical reason for being deserted, while the abandonment of others remains a mystery. Here are six more amazing examples of urban deserts from around the globe.

(6) San Zhi, Taiwan is an abandoned settlement on the outskirts of Taipei, Taiwan. A mysterious series of accidents led this would-be tourist town to go unused upon its completion. Further, regional beliefs also kept the abandoned settlement from demolished - for fear of angering spirits dwelling in the complex.

(5) Near Genoa, Italy is a small abandoned village. What would cause people to leave such a beautiful place? To be fair, though, the ruins left behind are aesthetically compelling in their own right. The structures are remarkably intact and provocative.

(4) Promyshlennyi, Russia was abandoned with the fall of the Soviet Union, cut off from communication with and support from the government. When utilities and electricity stopped working, people simply left to find a home an work elsewhere, leaving buildings behind and many belongings in the wreckage.

(3) New York, USA has a surprising number of abandoned airfields - directly in and around the city. Given the relative density of the city and its surroundings it seems unusual that these have been left unused for so long. Each of these anomolous airfields has its own story.

(2) Tere-Hole, Siberia is a lake with a recently dicovered treasure in the middle: a ruin dating back 1500 years. Located in a vast wilderness of lakes, this long-abandoned stronghold is 600 by 450 feet. Excavations this year may reveal ancient artifacts.

(1) Pripyat, Ukraine was once a thriving city of 50,000, but was abandoned following the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl. For a long time the amazingly preserved city - rapidly abandoned by the populace - was a virtual museum, a snapshot of the times. Pripyat has since been looted and only images and architecture remain. The site will be unfit for human habitation for hundreds of years due to nuclear fallout. However, you can tour the ruins by video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1047639670_ceaaca8ac7_o.jpg   1047639686_2788759a94_o.jpg   1047640098_4899252291_o.jpg   1047640126_5ab3f877aa_o.jpg   1047640140_49ba3fcb1f_o.jpg  

1047640182_f64b32ad82_o.jpg   1047760782_a795dd9465_o.jpg  

Got a link to the original post of this Dan? IIRC there were comments and such when Schmoo found it.

<-- is too lazy to do a google search.
    Member in good standing: TWPKC
    Honorary Member: F/RoX

And now for your viewing pleasure:
    http://www.tenminutesout.net

Note to self: "Talk less, say more."

Level 3 User

For those that are further interested in some of the stuff from Chernobyl.

I am guessing someone here has posted that in the past... but just in case... it has some great pictures in it.
    Kid of speed
    CelticRaven
    ~Sarcasm is my superpower~

Quote Originally Posted by CelticRaven View Post
    For those that are further interested in some of the stuff from Chernobyl.

I am guessing someone here has posted that in the past... but just in case... it has some great pictures in it.
    Kid of speed
    This is BS... we already have some threads on it and how much of it was proven fake

Level 3 User

Hehehe! Dan thanks, I hadn't thought to do a search for it on here, I had always wondered if there was anything factual about those pages since the the fairly poor IQ of all the photos.

Ok I feel like a tool now...
    CelticRaven

From a blurb at the bottom of the page:

After "Elena" brought this story to light, everyone that claims to be an expert has come forward identifying it as a hoax or a fraud.

How ironic that although they would label her a hoax and a fraud, she was able to achieve what they could not even dream of achieving. Bringing this issue the world wide attention it deserves.

As the only email contact, I have seen each of the moving emails that were directed to "Elena."
    Her words have definitely made the world think about this piece of forgotten history. I have seen every request from news agencies from around the world, each of the big names, begging for interviews.

"Elena" wanted nothing to do with these interviews.

I offered to setup a paypal donate account to create a fund for the project and local charities.

"Elena" Wanted nothing to do with it.

Did she do it for fame or notoriety or even money?

Or did she do it in order to bring attention to a forgotten region.

Read her words and decide for yourself.
    I am so smart. I am so smart. "S" "M" "R" "T". I mean, "S" "M" "A" "RRRRRR" "T" - Mr. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    From a blurb at the bottom of the page:
    That cancels out all the facts and times its been proven fake???

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    That cancels out all the facts and times its been proven fake???
    No no no...just stating that the guy that hosts to site lets you know that what you're reading isn't necessarily the truth.

A warning to people that haven't ever seen the site before.
    I am so smart. I am so smart. "S" "M" "R" "T". I mean, "S" "M" "A" "RRRRRR" "T" - Mr. Simpson

Wicked Retarded Crew Descending's Avatar

So who, wants to fly to overseas?..
    F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by Descending View Post
    So who, wants to fly to overseas?..
    I'm down. I <3 overseas.
    All I do is party...
    L/amE

Level 3 User

I would go in the blink of an eye for the Taiwan, Japan, or Italy ones....
    CelticRaven

Quote Originally Posted by CelticRaven View Post
    I would go in the blink of an eye for the Taiwan, Japan, or Italy ones....
    Japan = sweetness

And... I'm a postwhore
    Last edited by Dan; 12-13-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Wow, this is really cool!!

Thanks for the post Dan, I could read about these places for hours and hours, the mystery really drives me to learn more, awesome!

I want to go overseas soooo bad.