Thread: Missile Silos for Exploration...

Default Missile Silos for Exploration...

Missile Silos for Exploration, Visitation and Even for Sale.
    WebUrbanist

Missile silos might be the world’s most amazing abandonments. There is something about their immense scale, implicit secrecy, loaded history and and underground location that makes them an exciting target for urban exploration. Here are some fascinating examples of deserted silos one can visit and even purchase!

One set of intrepid building infiltrators set about breaking into the above missile silo (location undisclosed) at risk of both personal injury and federal penalty. Despite their retroactive warnings not to follow their example, these adventurers produced an amazing photo-documentary of their journey. As you navigate their website, it becomes a kind of choose-your-own-adventure tale allowing you to pick your path.

The Minuteman Missile Tour exists at the opposite end of the legal spectrum, providing a fun and interesting but completely safe and legitimate tour through an abandoned missile complex. Located in South Dakota, annual summer tours regularly fill completely with people who are curious about America’s past and the days of the Cold War, when fears of Mutually Assured Destruction haunted the country’s psyche. Also be out this amazing collection of missiles, rockets and other weapons.

Last but not least, it is even possible to buy your own abandoned missile silo and associated complex! Even better: you can do so from the comfort of your computer via eBay for 15 million dollars. Of course, you may have have to sell your house to afford the $300,000 down payment, but wouldn’t it be worth it? The people who bought one and converted it into a luxury home with a private landing strip certainly thought so (below) as well as the retired couple living in one shown in this video.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails above-the-missile-silo.jpg   breaking-into-missile-silo.jpg   luxury-home-in-a-missile-silo.jpg   missile-silo-architectural-drawing.jpg   missile-silo-complex.jpg  

missile-silo-complex-tour.jpg   missile-silo-tour.jpg   titan-missile-silo-for-sale.jpg   titan-missile-silo-washington.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan; 12-12-2007 at 09:13 AM.

I know what I'm going to ask santa for christmas.
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

very cool.
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

Level 3 User

I still think it would be great fun, to make about 20 "dummy" MM missile warheads and a rack for them, from items readily available at home depot, and sneak them into an abandon silo, and clean an area up and leave them.

You have to wonder what the first UE people that come across them are gonna think. Personally, I was with StealthMonkey and said I would be GONE from there so fast, only thing you would see of me, is a vapor trail.

Now keep in mind when I say great fun, that is great fun until like the FBI, DHS, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and whoever else come knocking on your door cause you freaked someone out and the called the cops and reported 20 nuclear warheads in an abandon bunker, but I bet the news reports will be amusing to the rest of us....
    CelticRaven
    ~Sarcasm is my superpower~

When I lived in Kansas some entrepreneurs from California turned a missile silo in Wamego into the largest domestic LSD factory in US history.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    Thomas Jefferson

Level 1 User

Anyone want to go to a missile site in Maryland?

Quote Originally Posted by AgentKittens View Post
    Anyone want to go to a missile site in Maryland?
    byob? id be down...
    ~Evan~ UA member #12
    Kosher Sausage, what?

Level 1 User

Quote Originally Posted by KosherBenz View Post
    byob? id be down...
    Unfortunately, they're being torn down pretty quickly, but there are a few left to explore. I'm not really sure how this works, since I'm new here... but I can tell you where to find them.

I'd rather not blurt out the location right away though.

Wicked Retarded Crew Descending's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AgentKittens View Post
    Unfortunately, they're being torn down pretty quickly, but there are a few left to explore. I'm not really sure how this works, since I'm new here... but I can tell you where to find them.

I'd rather not blurt out the location right away though.
    Something tells me, we can find them...
    F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by Descending View Post
    Something tells me, we can find them...
    Something tells me we already have

Level 1 User

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Something tells me we already have
    You are correct.

I guess I should've lurked more before posting. I would be interested in learning which site those pictures were taken, because it's not the same one I was in. Remarkably similar though.

some of those pics look like CO missile silos (ive never been btw) just seen the pics

Quote Originally Posted by luniz7 View Post
    some of those pics look like CO missile silos (ive never been btw) just seen the pics
    They are not from CO.