Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drains/Sewers etc...

Default Drains/Sewers etc...

I didn't actually know people explored drains/sewers until I went to another UE site and saw a number of posts/locations and pictures posted of people crawling through big pipes. I'm usually pretty open minded but who actually gives a rats ass about crawling through some drains/sewers? I mean we all obviously have some weird hobbies or we wouldnt be on this site, but at least exploring abandoned buildings has artistic purpose in the photography, the buildings have historic value and often extinct architecture, and many times artifacts can be found all over . I don't see that with drains&sewers, is it supposed to be like caving? So I guess my question is with all the great locations out there to research & explore help me understand why someone wants to spend their saturday crawling around where my piss ends up?

I guess it just turns some people on! I have seen some really cool photography from some large drains tho. Huge pipes and really big holes. I think some big storm drains might be fun but sewers and tiny pipes... just doesnt do it for me.

As far as finding things... Ive heard of "drainers" finding everything from money to guns that people have dropped/thrown into stormdrain inlets.

I have seen large drain openings along a few local major highways. I never stopped to explore any though.....they are kind of interesting. Not your average sewers though.....especially "waste" infested ones lol.

Ive heard of "drainers" finding everything from money to guns that people have dropped/thrown into stormdrain inlets.
    True, I didn't think of it like that, almost like underground dumpster diving.

Most serious draining goes on in Australia. Do a web search on the "Cave Clan". The clan is huge, and very acvtive. They even host a subterranean annual awards ceremony. I've been doing a bit of draining lately, sea-kayaking underneath Baltimore City in the flood controll channels. They are huge and I've gone for miles. Right now I'm stymied by long portages and a stretch of white-water, but I'll figure out a solution in a week or two. Don't knock it till you tried it.

I looked up that cave clan it looks pretty awsome, I can definitely see the fun/benefit in it. I wasn't trying to come off like a dick, I just didn't see how the draining I saw on the public section of the other site mixed w/ UE. Now kayaking flood channels underneath Bmore City that sounds like a whole other thing entirely!

Yeah, that sounds interesting. Do you own your own kayak....or do you rent one?

Quote Originally Posted by nonstop
    Yeah, that sounds interesting. Do you own your own kayak....or do you rent one?
    I dont own one, I bewlong to a club. Details in this thread:
    http://www.urbanatrophy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173
    Anyone who is interested but cant follow the link feel free to PM me.

Level 2 User

another reason people search for big pipes, drains, and channels is for skateboarding. a good portion of the super huge drain pipes from dams are only used in emergencies and are dry 90% of the time.

obviously theres some danger to these things...

muhahhhh at the last pic... Just a bit of danger! hahaha
    ~Evan~ UA member #12
    Kosher Sausage, what?

Level 2 User

oh yeah, these things are like gold to the skateboarding community, especially on the east coast since they are extremely rare and hard to find because of their remote locations. saying that... if anyone has even a hint of there being something around the maryland area.... PLEASE let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by drivelikejehu
    if anyone has even a hint of there being something around the maryland area.... PLEASE let me know...
    What kind of something? Are you just looking for large tunnel systems or damn overflow pipes specifically? BTW, the overflows are called "glory holes". Jump on UER and search for the phrase. There are a few cool threads on the subject.

Level 2 User

any pipes that are 10-12' in diameter or greater. large ditches and flood control. anything thats concrete and can be skateboarded in, no matter the danger or the bust factor. even if they have to be rafted to because of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus617
    BTW, the overflows are called "glory holes". Jump on UER and search for the phrase. There are a few cool threads on the subject.
    Now do not go on Google and do an Image search if you are at work for that word...lol

Level 2 User
    Northern Virginia Former Maryland Resident

Default Drains

Drains are really cool if its what your looking for. I like the feeling of being underground where nobody has gone in a long long time. Drains to me, have a goonies feel, a bit like caving I guess. Some drains you can raft through too which can be pretty cool.

Level 1 User

Sorry to drag up such an old thread.

One of the best things about drains (and tunnels in general) is that finding them can be a large part of the fun.

Even a boring drain can be interesting in finding out where it end up.

There is also a very photogenic side of the whole thing.

Google Siologen or Dsankt for some cool photos.

Cheers,

Doug.

Were those skate photos from tent city?
    Most awesome skate vid ever, im tempted to step back on a board....
    I want to eat your brains and gain your knowledge

Drains and tunnels can be fun but I don't think I would explore a sewer. The UE cub I used to belong to did a lot of stuff in them as we had miles of tunnels under the city. When they were dry I liked to explore them at high speed from the comfort of my four-wheeler, but I did take a bat to the helmet one time. We used to raft through them also when it would rain we would get flash floods. Nothing like riding an inflatable lobster down a mile long raging underground river. I have a cool video from a passenger while we did 50MPH or so down a narrow branching tunnel and here it is http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/e..._highres-1.flv

damn dude.... thats some bad ass motha lickin shit!!!
    I want to eat your brains and gain your knowledge

to that video, WOW!! I'd be like...wait, how long is this tunnel?? Don't tell anyone with claustrophobia to try and pick up that hobby haha, bad ass stuff!!