Thread: Abandoned Bridges

Default Abandoned Bridges

I wasn't sure where the best spot to post this request was, I hope this is ok.

I'm in the market for some cool looking (abandoned) bridges. I completely forgot I was going to photograph some for a project I'm helping my mom with and my time is suddenly short. Does anyone know of interesting bridges I can check out or areas that might be ripe for the picking? They don't have to be abandoned, I'm really looking for something with character, that has Story Factor. I'd love to find something in the stone, still standing but showing age variety though beggers can't be choosers.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Historic Bridges of Maryland

theres a lot on here i think would be cool to see
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."

Quote Originally Posted by Sheva View Post
    I wasn't sure where the best spot to post this request was, I hope this is ok.

I'm in the market for some cool looking (abandoned) bridges. I completely forgot I was going to photograph some for a project I'm helping my mom with and my time is suddenly short. Does anyone know of interesting bridges I can check out or areas that might be ripe for the picking? They don't have to be abandoned, I'm really looking for something with character, that has Story Factor. I'd love to find something in the stone, still standing but showing age variety though beggers can't be choosers.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
    http://www.vahighways.com/bridges/index.htm

try this link - it had some good pics - not sure how far u will have to drive
    Crazee Cat Lady >^..^<

Quote Originally Posted by Doomed View Post
    Historic Bridges of Maryland

theres a lot on here i think would be cool to see
    Wanna come with?

Sure. when are you thinking of doing this? sundays are my free day, although this sunday I am going to the renn fest i think
    "I'm coming down fast, but I'm miles above you."

Quote Originally Posted by Doomed View Post
    Sure. when are you thinking of doing this? sundays are my free day, although this sunday I am going to the renn fest i think
    Then I will see you there! After this weekend my weekends should clear up quite a bit. Bump into me at the Dragon at faire and we can figure something out.

The only abandoned bridge that comes to mind is the old Metzerott Road Bridge, about one mile north of College Park, west of Route 1.
    I figured, "How far could I coast on charm?" Well, pretty far actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Carriermonkey View Post
    The only abandoned bridge that comes to mind is the old Metzerott Road Bridge, about one mile north of College Park, west of Route 1.
    I believe they restabalized that bridge and its being used again. Its the one that leads to the ballparks/soccerfield/etc right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I believe they restabalized that bridge and its being used again. Its the one that leads to the ballparks/soccerfield/etc right?
    I just looked at Local Live and you are correct sir.
    I lived in that area for over 16 years and the entire time that bridge had not been used. From the photos it looks like they did some manor work to it.

I should clarify; it doesn't have to actually be abandoned, I'm looking for something with character. I've been doing research but thought I'd poll the audience to see if anyone knows of any they've seen that really stood out to them. Thanks everyone with suggestions so far!

Frederick has some pretty cool covered bridges. This time of year they should be pretty. I know where all three of them are so if your up for it, we can hit them up on a weekend. I know there's a link... here it is:
    http://www.fredericktourism.org/driv...edbridges.html

I have a number of old iron truss type bridges near me..... not that that helps you.... but I could always send you the shots. I have the bridge between Mifflintown and Mifflin, Port Royal and York Haven photographed..... they're also all in Pennsylvania.