Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bakerton Quarry

Level 3 User

Default Bakerton Quarry

My new thing is abandoned quarries... and i'm lovin' it! Summer is hot, and what better to do on a lazy Sunday than to go jump off of some rocks and have some refreshing uh... root beers. yes.

I know of a couple in the Tri-State (MD,WV,VA), but I'm not yet ready to give 'em all up. So here's one:

Bakerton Quarry
    Bakerton, WV
    Owned by the Crystal Lake HOA
    It's got high ledges, low ledges, deep water, caves, communal kayaks, a camping area, a friendly guard dog, and even an over-hanging ledge. A bit cold, but who cares! The locals are friendly... especially the drunken canoers. There are houses near the quarry, but everyone treats it like a lake - aka you will run into other people, but they don't care if you're there.

Directions? Look at a map. its not hard to find.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to find more of these places, please, let me know.

old abandoned Quarrys are awesome. There is like 50 of them within about 10 sq. miles in South Jersey that I used to stop by. They are super easy to find, just look for the bright blue water on aerials; usually, when the crews hit water, they abandon the dig, obviously. It is also smart to do a drive-by just to be sure.

There's also some huge bass in 'em if any of you guys are into fishing.

The clean, deep water is unbeatable for swimming.

The one you have pictured here looks awesome!

wouldent trust swimming too near the center though, on a hot day in a closed deep body of water the heat can cause a current of hot water on the surface that can create a strong tow and drag swimmers into the bottom and keep them there

Level 3 User

thanks for the advice!

I know alot of people who go here for the cliff jumping. Looks very cool.
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

Sweet I am on my way!
    I masturbate alone.

F/RoX

Bakerton is an unincorporated town on the Potomac River in Jefferson County, West Virginia, USA. It is located along Bakerton Road between Shepherdstown and Harpers Ferry. The founders of Bakerton were the descendants of a German marijuana grower who immigrated to America in the mid-eighteenth century. Daniel Baker's three sons Joseph, William and Daniel II were responsible for the establishment of Bakerton. It was here that they began the the very first cultivation of marijuana, which is still in practice today.

By 1888, they had established the Standard Lime & Stone Company and acquired the 39-acre tract of high-calcium limestone associated with the Engle Quarry. This place, previously known as Oak Grove, became the heart of the Bakers' quarry. The following year, the Bakers built a railroad spur to connect their quarry and marijuana farm with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad at Engle and by 1890, the town they helped establish was known as Bakerton. The Bakerton Quarry was used in the movie "Sweet Dreams," about the singer Patsy Cline.

For decades, baseball teams from Bakerton were in fierce competition with other industrial teams in the area. The baseball team was known as the Bakerton Wake-and Bake's. In the 1920s and '30s, Bakerton could be characterized as a mining, marijuana growing, or company town and during the depression of the '30s, it was hard pressed. It was here that the town really took stock in their marijuana growing business by smoking thier own supply. Prosperity returned in the 1940s with the demands of World War II increasing quarry production and marijuana production to very high level. The town really boomed in the 1960's-early 1970's with the immigration of pot-smoking hippies. Bakerton was the site of the Bakerton Colored School which was in operation from 1917 to 1928. The Board of Education selected the Black Methodist Church in Bakerton for the school.

Bakerton is now a small, quiet community that still to this day grows, sells, and smokes marijuana. The water-filled quarry serves as a local swimming hole, where the owner, Gascoin, likes to shoot his automatic weapon at people swimming and climbing the cliffs. The general store and the post office are the only businesses still in operation (except the illegal marijuana businesses in the town).
    I masturbate alone.

F/RoX

LOL!!! ^^

Marijuana... Bakerton??? I assumed from the name, but now that I know. IM FUCKING THERE!

Quote Originally Posted by seanBlaze View Post
    Marijuana... Bakerton??? I assumed from the name, but now that I know. IM FUCKING THERE!

Drugs are bad mmmmmkayyy?
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.

F/RoX

So when are we all goin? I can bring some of the essentials!
    I masturbate alone.

F/RoX

Level 3 User

any day
    after 2-3pm
    If somebody wants to go, hit me up... my number is around.

I wont forget some 'essentials'!!

I'd go just to take pictures of the sunset as it hits that water!

Level 3 User

actually the sunset is kind of lame.

But OK!! IM SO PSYCHED AND I DONT KNOE WHAT FOR!!!

Default Quarry! YES!!

Those pics look sooooo nice, especially now with it being all hot! I have been asking around for a good place to go. I don't really like all the comotion at Beaver Damn or Oregon Ridge. I've been to Oregon Ridge a couple times when it was closed and those were some good times. Loch Raven isnt a quarry but is close and usually my thing but I'm always having to tread water and look around all nervous when I see a boat. Oh, and I checked this place in Granite off old court and it was a bust. To much traffic and a big no swimmin sign. I may have to make a trip out to that place those pix are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    So when are we all goin? I can bring some of the essentials!
    Essentials like...... a CHICKEN CLUB????

Sorry, back to our regularly scheduled program of quarry swim meet planning.

Schmootography.com // blog

Member: TWPKC
    Honorary Member: F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by schmooo View Post
    Essentials like...... a CHICKEN CLUB????

Sorry, back to our regularly scheduled program of quarry swim meet planning.
    Hellz yeah a chicken club nice and toasted!
    I masturbate alone.

F/RoX

Quote Originally Posted by fatLouie View Post
    any day
    after 2-3pm
    If somebody wants to go, hit me up... my number is around.

I wont forget some 'essentials'!!
    Im thinkin a couple weekends from now would be good! Are there any rope swings there?
    I masturbate alone.

F/RoX

Level 2 User

what ever happened with that meet? if anyones still down to go let me know. this weekend is lookin pretty good, ill need to get away for a day.

Level 3 User

Looks like it might be time to break out the scuba tanks.
    CelticRaven
    ~Sarcasm is my superpower~