Thread: Just an idea...

Question Just an idea...

so please don't bbq me too bad.

I've been pretty active here and lurking at other sites like opacity, an the one thing that keeps poping into my head, besides I gotta go there and take pics, is why there isn't an organization or group that gives it's members a little mored credibility to enter some of these sites. I do know that part of the thrill is being in a building/location where you know you shouldn't be, but I would think having unrestricted access to places would be better, at least for photographers, than busting in.

Do you folks think a group that represents Urban Explorers is a good idea? Granted, it takes money and people to run any good organization, but I was just thinking. Is it worth exploring? Sorry, just couldn't help myself with that last question. LOL

There are a lot of people out there in the UE world that get permission for their shoots beit from a security guard or by going straight to the owner.

Many of our locations have been captured this way. I guess in a way you could say "Urban Atrophy" kinda is the organization you speak of but on a smaller level (just me and the other dan that run the site). We have connections high up in private and government organizations all across the state and a few in surrounding states. Sometimes we will work as professional photographers to document a location. The owners or whoever use the pics for lawsuits, insurance, historical documentation, advertisements, demo cost estimates, whatever...

Many explorers dont consider that "exploring" but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'll explore both ways and they both have their ups and downs.
    Last edited by Dan; 06-01-2006 at 11:26 AM.

I completely understand. I also understand why some many not consider it Urban Exploring. I respect that opinion, to me the goal is the photography. Then again, I'm nuts! I work for the government. LOL

Remind me that I really gotta meet you and the other Dan some day. I think I can provide the beer.
    Last edited by Jeff; 06-01-2006 at 09:15 PM.

It sounds like a nice idea but I'm willing to bet most property managers couldn't give a shit less about documenting a random historical building they are about to turn into a golf course/old folks home/condos. It's not worth the liability to them to let people in even if they had good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    I completely understand. I also understand why some many not consider it Urban Exploring. I respect that opinion, to me the goal is the photography. Then again, I'm nuts! I work for the government. LOL

Remind me that I really gotta me you and the other Dan some day. I think I can provide the beer.
    Us, you, maypost... we should all meet in the middle somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by mANVIL
    It sounds like a nice idea but I'm willing to bet most property managers couldn't give a shit less about documenting a random historical building they are about to turn into a golf course/old folks home/condos. It's not worth the liability to them to let people in even if they had good intentions.
    "before" photos look great hanging in a golf pro shop!

Quote Originally Posted by mANVIL
    You are probably very correct, that is if you can find the property managers. Please don't mind me though, I just like to ask questions as they arise so I can make room for other random thoughts. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Us, you, maypost... we should all meet in the middle somewhere!
    That sounds like a great idea, but where would the middle be? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    That sounds like a great idea, but where would the middle be? LOL
    The dead center is somewhere between Frederick and Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    The dead center is somewhere between Frederick and Baltimore
    I could do that. I've been to Baltimore about five times in five years so somewhere in between would be cool. I have a habit of getting lost. LOL

(Did I mention that I'm nuts? LOL )

I guess I should drive then huh?
    Level two Jew

FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maypost
    I guess I should drive then huh?
    LMAO! The first time, probably. One time driving to Maine I had to go through New York City, I figured no problem. I got lost for three hours. I gotta say, Cony Island is wonderfully crowed and Chinatown is called Chinatown for a reason. LOL