Thread: Tripod & Bag Suggestions

Default Tripod & Bag Suggestions

Well now that I am finally back to working its time to do some shopping. I have been looking at crumpler bags but don't really have the budget for one... Im looking for suggestions on bags and a new tripod also...

Aw, you sure? I LOVE Crumpler and I will never give my Whickey & Cox up. They are more expensive than the usual standbys of Lowepros and Tamracs but I think they are well worth it in the durability department. IMO durability is paramount when it comes to exploring.

What is your budget range? That affects the kinds of suggestions I think you will get.

Schmootography.com // blog

Member: TWPKC
    Honorary Member: F/RoX

ah i was a little vague with that...
    sorry the ADD kicked in...

I am looking for a backpack style bag and hoping to pay no more than $100 for it.

Get the one a lot of us on here have:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

$50

i need to get a bag too...but i'm also dying to either get a new lens or a filter or something. ive decided that maybe im going to splurge a little as a 'happy graduation to me' present lol. there's just so much good stuff to get, and then there's me such a tight budget
    invictus

against all odds i'm still standing

Im not hauling half the equiptment most do.
    So I just have a Hippy style back pack, 1 strap goes across your chest makes it easy for me to spin it from my back to in front of me to access everything inside.
    Hippy bag here
    - has never been arrested for "Moapery"... just for the record.

F/RoX

BW: For the less expensive stuff I just went to Ritz and looked at their huge shelf o' bags. I find the backpack styles to be very balanced and much easier to explore with than the messenger styles, even if they do look a bit dorky.

I had the Tamrac Adventure for a while and for a relatively small amount of gear (one SLR body, a couple lenses and accessories) it works very well. I sold it to shanky and I'm hoping he finds it as good as I did. They retail for about $90, so there should be actually tons of bags that are both more and less than that goes for.

As for a tripod, I'm sure these guys can give a decent recommendation in the <$100 range as well. I have a Manfrotto and love it, but even I feel that sometimes it's a bit too much tripod for what I do. Obviously you just want to make sure your camera/lens combo isn't too heavy for the tripod, and that it collapses and extends as much as you'd like it to.

Good luck in your shopping and I hope to see your photos soon!

Level 3 User

Quote Originally Posted by schmooo View Post

I had the Tamrac Adventure for a while and for a relatively small amount of gear (one SLR body, a couple lenses and accessories) it works very well. I sold it to shanky and I'm hoping he finds it as good as I did. They retail for about $90, so there should be actually tons of bags that are both more and less than that goes for.
    Yes smchooo, Im loving not having my dslr roll around in my jansport.

I as well have a manfrotto legs and head and love ti to death. Its always stiff and doesnt strip the handles if I go a Little tight.

With my limited UE budget, after the muddy DSLR incident, I took a hint from schmooo and grabbed a Tamrac. I've been pretty happy with it. It's an adventure 7, which is a slightly different model than her old one, and nicely discounted here and there online. It looks more like a standard backpack than a little SLR one and opens up like pacman's head, with 1 body + lenses in the bottom compartment and just enough room for my purse, water, food, etc, in the top. So far my only complaint is that the shoulder straps are a bit wide for me, but I'm little.

Quote Originally Posted by salix lucida View Post
    With my limited UE budget, after the muddy DSLR incident, I took a hint from schmooo and grabbed a Tamrac.
    *cringe* I still whimper thinking about that.
    Member in good standing: TWPKC

And now for your viewing pleasure:
    http://www.tenminutesout.net

Note to self: "Talk less, say more."

Quote Originally Posted by salix lucida View Post
    With my limited UE budget, after the muddy DSLR incident, I took a hint from schmooo and grabbed a Tamrac. I've been pretty happy with it. It's an adventure 7, which is a slightly different model than her old one, and nicely discounted here and there online. It looks more like a standard backpack than a little SLR one and opens up like pacman's head, with 1 body + lenses in the bottom compartment and just enough room for my purse, water, food, etc, in the top. So far my only complaint is that the shoulder straps are a bit wide for me, but I'm little.
    thats sounds like the ones I have been looking at. I carry my camera with me everywhere. right now in a swiss army back pack... I do a lot of traveling in the city and want something that isnt obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by zweiblumen View Post
    *cringe* I still whimper thinking about that.
    heh. It was my own fucking fault for not having a good bag for the job. I'd never explored anywhere with that much climbing about *and* water to worry about before. An expensive lesson, but I'm digging the new bag and the better lens I wound up with.

i recommend this tripod:

it's BENDY.

you can find one on ebay: http://item.express.ebay.com/Cameras...mdZExpressItem

leave the gun, take the canoli.

I love the Gorillapod and wish I could get it to work with my camera. I tried convincing Zwei to get one but he whines about it not being able to stand at eye level in the middle of a room.

Quote Originally Posted by schmooo View Post
    I love the Gorillapod and wish I could get it to work with my camera. I tried convincing Zwei to get one but he whines about it not being able to stand at eye level in the middle of a room.

ah, see - therein lies your problem: you need to find a CAMERA to work with the GORILLAPOD.

and Z can hook the gorillapod onto his big ass backpack and then it'll be at eye level in the middle of the room. shit, it'd be higher than eye level.

do i have to teach yous guys everything?
    leave the gun, take the canoli.

Quote Originally Posted by don corleyone View Post
    and Z can hook the gorillapod onto his big ass backpack and then it'll be at eye level in the middle of the room. shit, it'd be higher than eye level.
    While true, my backpack is known as bagZILLA, not bagSTABLE :P It's big, but it wobbles... Not an attribute one looks for in a tripod :P... But one day I'll have a gorillapod hanging onto bagzilla and that'll make for an awesome portrait.
    Member in good standing: TWPKC

And now for your viewing pleasure:
    http://www.tenminutesout.net

Note to self: "Talk less, say more."

Level 3 User

As for tripods, I use the beast Sunpak Ultra Pro 777. While it is heavy (everyone comments on that!), it's stable and very durable. I bought it as a floor model, and it was far cheaper ($50, versus 79 elsewhere!).