Thread: Urban Atrophy on FOX 5

Default Urban Atrophy on FOX 5

When I was first approached by a producer from FOX looking for information on the locations listed on our site for use in a story about the “Dark past of the DC area” I was slow to cooperate. In the past media attention to old locations such as hospitals, prisons, schools, etc. has brought nothing but trouble. Exposing a hidden relic on TV means new visitors, vandalism, theft… things that can totally ruin a treasured abandonment.

After realizing that the show would go on whether I decided to be involved or not I decided to help and work with FOX. I wanted to see that the proper light was cast on urban explorers, to show that we can be very professional with strict ethics and respect. I also wanted to make sure that sensitive locations were not revealed to the general public.

I think the story turned out very well and the majority of the urban exploration community polled agrees the story couldn’t have been written better. It does a good job at correctly defining urban explorers and correcting the common mis-understanding that urban explorers are nothing more than trespassers, vandals and thieves.
    To watch the video Click Here: http://www.urbanatrophy.com/video/FOX5report.wmv

The file is in Windows Media format and 35mb in size. Expect a slow download if you are using dial-up.

Dan #1

Dan #2

Thumbs down Re: Urban Atrophy on FOX 5

I saw it when it aired and I was very impressed with how well FOX presented the whole UE community. It is so refreshing to see UE presented in a positive light for a change.
    I love how they said that they sometimes catch up to 4 people a week at Glenndale. Considering how many people explore there, Looks like MNCPPS is doing a great job keeping that place under control.

Level 3 User

Bastards used my website without asking

Atleast they could have thrown out a link to plug your page... They didnt even give out a link for our site. I kinda hoped they would have but oh well.

We didnt really see any traffic increase from the news story.

Level 1 User

Default I saw this, and question

I saw this on youtube, i think on your compalation video. that was amazing, I was talking to my friend and we'd be all about going on the news for UEing. Let me ask you though, how did you guys manage to go in with a camera crew and not get caught, did you guys get permits or somthing to be there? Im from NJ and whenever we go we always have to watch for cops, because if they catch you, yours done. Weve only had one run in with them and we narrowly made it out.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarguyUE View Post
    I saw this on youtube, i think on your compalation video. that was amazing, I was talking to my friend and we'd be all about going on the news for UEing. Let me ask you though, how did you guys manage to go in with a camera crew and not get caught, did you guys get permits or somthing to be there? Im from NJ and whenever we go we always have to watch for cops, because if they catch you, yours done. Weve only had one run in with them and we narrowly made it out.
    A news camera crew can sneak around the same as anyone else. It wasnt a live broadcast so its not like they needed a van w/ huge antenna onsite.

Level 3 User

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    A news camera crew can sneak around the same as anyone else. It wasnt a live broadcast so its not like they needed a van w/ huge antenna onsite.
    You guys really had to sneak around with a camera man and reporter?????? I would have thought for sure that they had the permission or something.

Quote Originally Posted by shanky View Post
    You guys really had to sneak around with a camera man and reporter?????? I would have thought for sure that they had the permission or something.
    nope... we didnt have permission for either of the locations in the news clip. we actually got chased off by a maintenance guy at the hospital.

Level 2 User VincerePhotography's Avatar

Do you guys have the full clip somewhere? I would definitely like to see that particular coverage.
    -

-

Quote Originally Posted by VincerePhotography View Post
    Do you guys have the full clip somewhere? I would definitely like to see that particular coverage.
    ??? There is a direct link in post #1

I love how they put a positive oulook on UE... Now if only the 5.0 would think that way...
    Chrissy

Yeah right....in your dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by MystikStar0112 View Post
    I love how they put a positive oulook on UE... Now if only the 5.0 would think that way...
    Wouldn't that be nice. I don't understand how they don't see that we not there to cause harm. I mean damn, when we are in there with $1000 worth of equipment simply taking photos, what do they think is going on!? I usually tell people I'm a historian if I'm ever questioned.