Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies Filmed in/at Abandonments

Default Movies Filmed in/at Abandonments

Thought it would be cool to start a list of movies that have scenes from our favorite abandonments.

Post a movie and list the locations where it was filmed. Just be careful not to give out too much info

I'll start out with the 1995 film "12 Monkeys"

The year is 2035 and humankind subsists in a desolate netherworld following the eradication of 99 percent of the Earth's population, a holocaust that makes the planet's surface uninhabitable, and mankind's destiny uncertain.

In order to preserve their fate in this grave new world, survivors must rely on time travel as their only hope. Desperately hoping that the resources of the past might help them reclaim and rebuild the future, a group of scientists living beneath the once populous Philadelphia, secure a volunteer to embark on an experimental trip back to the year 1996. There, they hope he can help mankind's desperate efforts to unravel this apocalyptic nightmare before it completely erases humanity from the planet.

Bruce Willis is Cole, the reluctant volunteer who may not be the ideal candidate to complete this dangerous assignment. However, he possesses a significant trait that supersedes the scientists' doubts -- his obsession with a haunting image from his childhood, a memory whose meaning cannot be understood even though it replays itself endlessly in his tortured mind.

When Cole arrives in 1996, he meets Jeffrey Goines (Brad Pitt), the unstable son of a renowned scientist, and Dr. Kathryn Railly (Madeleine Stowe), a psychiatrist and author who's expertise lies in the study of madness and prophecy. Railly first diagnoses Cole as delusional; more simply, a madman. However, as their relationship grows, her alarm over his prophetic warnings of the world's fate turns to conviction, and she comes to believe that mankind may indeed be doomed.

While also questioning his own sanity, Cole struggles with Railly to unravel the mystery with his only two clues: the haunting childhood memory and a series of puzzling symbols from a group known only as The Army of the Twelve Monkeys.

Locations:
    The asylum where he’s subsequently incarcerated is Philadelphia’s Eastern State Penitentiary, 22nd Street at Fairmount Avenue. When Charles Dickens visited the US, he declared that there were two things he wanted to see: Niagara Falls was one, thither was the Eastern State Pen.

This – radical in its day – architectural wonder, a central hub with seven ‘spokes’ radiating outwards, was the brainchild of the Quaker movement, a humane alternative to the corrupt, disease-ridden dumping grounds that served as prisons in the 19th century. The guiding principle was solitary confinement.

With only the Bible, a little daily work and no human contact whatsoever (even meals were served through holes in the wall so the prisoner could have no contact with the warder), the inmate, freed from temptation, would revert to a natural state of innocence. In fact, they mostly went mad.

One who survived intact was Al Capone, who resided here for eight months in 1929, in a tastefully decorated cell, with a desk, music and all the luxuries a crime boss could afford. You can see his restored cell on the prison tour. The Eastern State can also be seen in Return to Paradise (1998), with Vince Vaughn, Anne Heche and Joaquin Phoenix.

Other Philly locations include the homeless enclave where Cole battles with vicious vagrants, which is the old, abandoned Met Theatre, Broad Street at Poplar, in a poor area north of Philadelphia city centre. Also used is the once-majestic, now graffiti-covered Greek Revival Ridgway Library, 901 South Broad Street at Carpenter Street. The library, which had been abandoned for 30 years when the film was made, has since won several awards for adaptive re-use since being renovated to house the Philadelphia High School for Creative and Performing Arts. The vast underground chamber is in one of Philadelphia’s abandoned Power Stations, where the floodgates were opened for the first time in years.

The 'future prison' is another one of Philadelphia’s abandoned Power Stations.

The 'Engineering Room' in which Cole is interrogated, is the No.4 Turbine Basement of a Baltimore Power Plant.

A Baltimore landmark you might recognise is the deco cinema where Cole and Railly sit through a 24-hour Hitchcock Fest, which is the Senator Theater. While not abandoned as of now the Senator may be soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12m01.jpg   12m02.jpg   12m03.jpg   12m04.jpg  

Dogma - A 1999 movie with a scene fimed at one of our favorite churches (greystone on the main site). Too bad the church is now undergoing renovation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dogma1.jpg   dogma2.jpg   dogma3.jpg   dogma4.jpg   dogma5.jpg  

dogma6.jpg  

Red Dragon-2002. There are a few scenes in which you can see Edward Norton exiting the building in which Hannibal is being kept. These scenes were shot at Hubner Psychiatric Hospital.
    Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead. -Angels in America: Perestroika

F/RoX Honorary Member

Silence of the Lambs - also used some locations at Hubner.

I'll try to pull photos when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Too bad the church is now undergoing renovation.
    Why's that?

I would much rather see any location used for it's original purpose rather than "demolition by neglect". At the end of the day, it is all about saving and preserving these places, right?
    Level two Jew

FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maypost View Post
    Why's that?

I would much rather see any location used for it's original purpose rather than "demolition by neglect". At the end of the day, it is all about saving and preserving these places, right?
    But, demolition by neglect is the only thing keeping you busy on weekends. And the only reason this hobby even exists.

I see beauty in neglect and decay not in fresh paint and drywall.
    Last edited by Dan; 02-19-2007 at 05:36 PM.

The scenes of Silence of the lambs where clarice goes to "baltimore state hospital" is from Western Center admin, which is near pittsburgh and is currently being demolished:

http://www.southsideshutterbug.com/s...PortfolioID=14
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

But, demolition by neglect is the only thing keeping you busy on weekends. And the only reason this hobby even exists.

All extremely good points, but i would happily sacrifice seeing some amazing places if it means the integrity is kept for another 100 years.
    Level two Jew

FTW!!!

I remmembered Louie posting these a while back...

XXX State of the Union

NSA Agent Augustus Gibbons (Jackson), fresh off the success of his last renegade recruitment, once again finds himself in need of an outsider. Gibbons and his new agent (Ice Cube), also code named "XXX," must track a dangerous military splinter group led by Willem Dafoe that is conspiring to overthrow the U.S. Government in the nation's capital.

In the movie the "Capitol Theatre" better known as the "American Brewery" to us was the ghetto hideout/chop shop. They only used the exterior... eventhough they made it appear they were driving into the brewery all the interior shots were done elsewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brew01.jpg   brew02.jpg   brew03.jpg  

I had no idea the Brewery was used in any movie! Had I seen that movie, especially in the theater I think I would have gotten a huge kick out of it.

Schmootography.com // blog

Member: TWPKC
    Honorary Member: F/RoX

Oh Oh Oh! The beginning and a few other scenes of Ladder 49 were partially filmed in/at Vane Brothers.
    Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead. -Angels in America: Perestroika

F/RoX Honorary Member

I still cant find the stuff for the Baltimore power plant. I see nothing that looks anything like the set. But the tube Bruce is put into I sat in. Pure copper...was really cool to see the inside

"There is but one truth. If you avert your eyes from it, you will always remain nothing more than a puppet"-Schwarzwald

I watched/fast forwarded through 12 Monkeys yesterday just to see THAT scene they filmed in the PA Power Plant lol

Level 3 User

I remmembered Louie posting these a while back...
    XXX State of the Union
    lol.. yeah that movie was horrible.

But - Don't even get me started on The Wire It's just a TV show (the best tv show!), but the number of Baltimore sights I recognize from it is quite impressive.

Heres just a sampling of the second season:

van brothers

Locust Point

Lorton Prison (VA, but still...)

Canton Shipyard/John W. Brown

A certain VA hospital...

and FYI a 'certain clothing factory' and it's surrounding neighborhood are used very very very extensively for filming throughout the fourth season, I'm still working on screenshots though.

FL - Wasnt the baltimore plant in the background of one of the scenes aswell? I have no idea which season though.

I agree with this to a point. However in this case it's actually working against us. The city has recently threatened the owner that if he can't prove he is making significant steps towards the restoration of the church then the city will demolish it. Its complete bullshit since the structure of the church is in fine shape, the exterior still looks beautiful (its far from an eyesore) and there are literally hundreds of abandoned buildings in the city crumbling which the city government doesnt give a damn about. The truth is the city wants the land (several acres) the church sits on because its in the center of a neighborhood being redeveloped into middle income houses as part of attempt to revitalize the area and draw in more income. So yes, I agree that modern architecture is boring, as is fresh paint and plaster. But i'd rather see that than 25 brand new rowhomes.
    "As a community we are united in our struggle, we say yes to life, no to things which threaten to destory us. Today we move towards a lifstyle of human values, based on love, governed by honesty, and secured by trust. No longer do we stand alone. We must be as open as the air, with the will to survive, the will to learn, and the will to create. We are a creative force motivated by each other. For the will of the people is the greatest force conceivable." - written on wall of mental hospital

The only one I can think of besides Ladder 49 (mentioned above) is 'Death Tunnel', a really bad movie made entirely at Waverly Hills Sanatorium. Though the movie was really horrible the fact the it was done all at Waverly is pretty cool. Plus the producer of the movie also made the Sci Fi special 'Spooked' which I thought was a much better show, even though they they did a little too much of the paranormal stuff.

I got another, the location that I photographed this past Sudnay (HERE) Was used in Girl, Interrupted. Apparently the crew completely renovated the interior of building #22 to make it look like the 1960's era. The movie looks like a chick flick but I might have to see it just to see the building and campus. Plus Angelina Jolie is in it

Level 3 User

I got another, the location that I photographed this past Sudnay (HERE) Was used in Girl, Interrupted.

Someone posted up a bunch of screen caps from Girl Interrupted on UER... it looked like they did a really good job on that renovation!

I still need to go over the 3rd and 4th season of the Wire and put up some more locations from it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by fatLouie View Post
    and FYI a 'certain clothing factory' and it's surrounding neighborhood are used very very very extensively for filming throughout the fourth season, I'm still working on screenshots though.

I used to live next door to that clothing factory. I could never find anyone crazy enough to venture into it with me...